Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My 20 year old son is transferring $558.33 of his tuition to me but I get an error saying only $0 is transferrable.

3 Replies

My 20 year old son is transferring $558.33 of his tuition to me but I get an error saying only $0 is transferrable.

The reason it is saying $0 is transferable might be because your son must first claim any current year’s federal tuition fees, even if someone else paid for the fees. He must also reduce his tax owing to zero which can be filled out and calculated on Schedule 11 (Federal Tuition Education and Textbook Amounts and Canada Training Credit - For all except Quebec and non-residents) before he can transfer any leftover amounts. When transferring an amount to a designated individual, only transfer the amount this person can use. This way, you can carry forward as much as possible to use in a future year.

You can transfer all or some of the remainder to:

- Your spouse or common-law partner (who would claim it in field 36000 of their Schedule 2)

- Your parent or grandparent, or your spouse's or common-law partner's parent or grandparent (who would claim it on line 32400 of their Income Tax Return)

For more information on transferring tuition amounts and how to complete Schedule 11, visit the CRA and TurboTax links provided below:

Transferring Tuition Amount 

Completing Schedule 11

Claiming a Tuition Amount From Your Child’s College 

My son's return has been completed on the same turbotax account and his return indicated that $558.31 was the amount that was available to transfer, yet when I enter that amount on my return, it says only $0 is transferable. Is it because we are using the same turbotax account?

Hello Kyle- the customer came back with this- Can you please try to answer it 🙂 If you need help please let us know. 

Thank you,

Brenda.