Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
eraitt

Are prenatal class fees either a medical and/or education expense?

The course was at a College and instruction give by a registered nurse.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Not educational as it does not contribute to employment, unless you call 20 years of child-rearing employment.  I doubt that prenatal classes are eligible, but if CRA does not ask to see the receipts it is a possibility.  At least it is borderline.  Be aware that medical costs must be more than 3% of your net income before you can begin to claim.

View solution in original post

3 Replies

Not educational as it does not contribute to employment, unless you call 20 years of child-rearing employment.  I doubt that prenatal classes are eligible, but if CRA does not ask to see the receipts it is a possibility.  At least it is borderline.  Be aware that medical costs must be more than 3% of your net income before you can begin to claim.

eric-ng

According to the CRA website, they ARE covered.

http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/tx/ndvdls/tpcs/ncm-tx/rtrn/cmpltng/ddctns/lns300-350/330-331/dtlxpns-eng.ht...

Pre-natal and post-natal treatments paid to a medical practitioner or a public or licensed private hospital.

Here is a screen shot from the CRA website: http://postimg.org/image/6iweeb9vl/

My feeling is that pre-natal classes would not be considered treatments, but you have nothing to lose by giving it a shot.