Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My wife still works and make more money then I do, I'm on a pension would it make sense to split my pension with her?

this is a Canadian tax return. The location in the program INCOME & EXPENSES,

pull down - Other income sources, then check box - Split pension income with your spouse. Then proceed, this doesn't make sense in my case by splitting the pension with my wife I'm going to decrease my pension amount in a lower tax bracket and increase my wife income in a higher tax bracket

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

My wife still works and make more money then I do, I'm on a pension would it make sense to split my pension with her?

Pension income splitting will decrease your income but it will increase your spouse's income.  The only way to know for sure if it will be beneficial for the both of you is to enter it on the tax return and see what the outcome is before you submit your income tax returns.

View solution in original post

1 Reply

Pension income splitting will decrease your income but it will increase your spouse's income.  The only way to know for sure if it will be beneficial for the both of you is to enter it on the tax return and see what the outcome is before you submit your income tax returns.