Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
pfmtax

Question: my spouse, Canadian resident, has been working for Japanese employer, and paying tax in Japan, in 2018. How do we file, keep CRA happy, and not be taxed twice?

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Question: my spouse, Canadian resident, has been working for Japanese employer, and paying tax in Japan, in 2018. How do we file, keep CRA happy, and not be taxed twice?

No need to worry. Canada does have a treaty with Japan to prevent double taxation. At tax time your spouse will declare their income as foreign employment income and enter the tax that has been deducted in Japan as a credit against that income.

One note: The income (and tax deducted) need to be entered in CAD. When it's time to file your returns, use the annual exchange rate listed here: https://www.bankofcanada.ca/rates/exchange/annual-average-exchange-rates/

The rate will be updated at the end of the year to reflect the average exchange rate for the whole year.

View solution in original post

3 Replies

No need to worry. Canada does have a treaty with Japan to prevent double taxation. At tax time your spouse will declare their income as foreign employment income and enter the tax that has been deducted in Japan as a credit against that income.

One note: The income (and tax deducted) need to be entered in CAD. When it's time to file your returns, use the annual exchange rate listed here: https://www.bankofcanada.ca/rates/exchange/annual-average-exchange-rates/

The rate will be updated at the end of the year to reflect the average exchange rate for the whole year.

Kat Blais

I am currently in a similar situation right now. Does this mean that if I declare and pay taxes in Canada for the services in Japan, I don't have to pay taxes in Japan? 

Ekapp

I was wondering the same thing.  I'd love an answer as well.