Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hi I just saw the new info about the Alberta Tuition fees tax credit and education amount , what does this mean that it is eliminated? Do i get actual money for it now?

2 Replies

Hi I just saw the new info about the Alberta Tuition fees tax credit and education amount , what does this mean that it is eliminated? Do i get actual money for it now?

Alberta has eliminated its tuition and education credits for 2020. This means that if you went to college or university (or similar) in 2020, you won’t be able to claim any tuition and education credits for this tax year. You will also not be able to transfer the tuition credit to a spouse, parent or grandparent.

If you have unused credit from previous years, you can still claim and use that, but you must have been a resident of Albert on December 31, 2019 to do so. You can also continue to carry forward unused amounts.

If you have TurboTax Live Assist & Review, here is how to talk to a Tax Expert: https://turbotax.community.intuit.ca/community/navigating-turbotax/help/i-m-using-turbotax-live-assi...

luis1064

Hi, in regards to the tuition fees in Alberta for 2020 that were eliminated, if we can not use this credit in 2020 are we going to be able to carry forward those credits to future tax years in order to not lose them??