Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Where do I enter the 15% deduction from my US social security? I can't find line 115 on the stupid on-line download version.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Where do I enter the 15% deduction from my US social security? I can't find line 115 on the stupid on-line download version.

I’m sorry hear you hare having this problem. The amount on line 115 feeds in from multiple places, such as the T4A slip, the T3 slip, and other places that contain pension information.

For U.S. Social Security, you would need to use the Foreign Income page. The fastest way to get there would be to use the “Find” tool in the blue bar on the top right corner. Click “Find” and search for “Foreign Income”, then select it from the list and click on the “Go” button.

Then click on “Enter Foreign Income”. On the “Foreign Slip” page there are two lines for U.S. social security benefits. Use the one that matches your situation. Enter amounts in U.S. dollars and enter the exchange rate in the box provided. TurboTax converts the amount to Canadian dollars for you.

Click “Done with Foreign Income” to save the information you have entered.

View solution in original post

3 Replies

I’m sorry hear you hare having this problem. The amount on line 115 feeds in from multiple places, such as the T4A slip, the T3 slip, and other places that contain pension information.

For U.S. Social Security, you would need to use the Foreign Income page. The fastest way to get there would be to use the “Find” tool in the blue bar on the top right corner. Click “Find” and search for “Foreign Income”, then select it from the list and click on the “Go” button.

Then click on “Enter Foreign Income”. On the “Foreign Slip” page there are two lines for U.S. social security benefits. Use the one that matches your situation. Enter amounts in U.S. dollars and enter the exchange rate in the box provided. TurboTax converts the amount to Canadian dollars for you.

Click “Done with Foreign Income” to save the information you have entered.

Maisie2
Returning Member

Turbo Tax posted a first three digits of my USA SOCIAL SECURITY when I received four digits. So entered as CDN $ in hundreds and should have been CDN  $ in  thousands . I even put in . 

Maisie2
Returning Member

They charged me foreign income , first time in five years . It’s the fact they made an error

page 2 of 5 Other pensions has it listed as US Social Security but the wrong $ amount.