Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Where do I enter the amount of tuition that my son can transfer to me? It only asks me for his total tuition and the number of months he attends post-secondary.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Where do I enter the amount of tuition that my son can transfer to me? It only asks me for his total tuition and the number of months he attends post-secondary.

Very detailed instructions, but they do not work for the 2020 online version -  there seems to be a glitch.  The program does not ask for line 32700 - Federal tuition amount transferred, from the student's Schedule 11.  I've spoken with 2 Turbo Tax agents, both claiming they are not tax experts....only to have the calls disconnected. I've been going in circles with this and it is very frustrating. 

View solution in original post

4 Replies

We'd be happy to help you. Before you begin, you will need to find out the federal and/or provincial amount(s) dependant is transferring to you. Then, enter your income and RRSP information for yourself into TurboTax. Finally, make sure to add your child or grandchild as a dependant.

To add the transfer of tuition credits, please follow the steps listed below while filing your tax return using TurboTax Online:

1. Sign In to the account.
  2. Click on the find icon to the top-right corner of the page.
  3. Type and search for "Claims For" and select Claims for dependents, then select Go.
  4. When prompted to review or claim any of these credits, select Yes. Then select Continue.
  5. Select Enter Credit Info next to the name of the dependant who is transferring unused tuition amounts to you.
  6. Select Transfer my Child's Tuition and Education Amounts, then select Continue.
  7. Follow the on-screen instructions to select Tuition Transfer, enter the amount(s) of the transfer(s), then select Continue.

Please note: your child can transfer up to $5,000 of the tax credit, less the amount used to reduce tax owing. So if they reduced their tax owing by $1,000, the most that can be transferred is $4,000. 

For more help, read our FAQ about How do I enter tuition transferred from my spouse/partner or my child?

and TurboTax blog on Claiming a Tuition Amount From Your Child’s College.

Thanks.

Very detailed instructions, but they do not work for the 2020 online version -  there seems to be a glitch.  The program does not ask for line 32700 - Federal tuition amount transferred, from the student's Schedule 11.  I've spoken with 2 Turbo Tax agents, both claiming they are not tax experts....only to have the calls disconnected. I've been going in circles with this and it is very frustrating. 

Yes, yes yes. This is the problem. There is no place to enter the tuition amount transferred with the 2020 online version. Finally someone agrees! Please fix this glitch so I can file my taxes!

I spoke with another agent last night who took the time to troubleshoot for over an hour while sharing my screen. Still no answers, but she has opened an investigation. I should hear back in 5-7 days - I’ll keep you posted.