Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
batester

Where do I enter the spousal rsp contribution I made

8 Replies

On the screen in the RRSP section where you would enter your own RRSP contributions, enter the contributions made to your spouse's RRSP in the spot titled Contribution amount to your spouse's RRSPs.

https://turbotax.community.intuit.ca/replies/2648068

DR2020
Returning Member

I saw the previous answer given but could not find the spot mentioned to report spousal RRSP contributions.  

Perhaps it does not matter, for tax purposes, where the spousal RRSP investment is placed, more important is who gets the deduction.  If this is the case then maybe turbo tax/CRA feels a person does not need to report if the funds go the to the spouse or actual contributor.

Can anyone assist here. 

Thanks 

Good afternoon DR2020,

I am here to assist you. To do so, I need more information. Could you tell me if you are using the TurboTax Online version or if you are using the TurboTax CD/Download version?

Awaiting your reply.

Thank you,

Ginette

DR2020
Returning Member

I am using the online version. 
Thanks

DR2020, could you confirm that you are doing a spousal return (both returns together)?

@DR2020   

To enter the spousal RRSP which you contributed to, follow these directions on the TurbotTax Online edition. Once inside your return, click on the magnifying glass at the top right of the screen. In the space, write RRSP then choose RRSP Profile. This opens up Your RRSP Profile for 2019. Select all of the checkboxes that apply to you. In your situation, because you contributed to the RRSP for your wife you will select, under your name, Made RRSP contributions during 2019 or the first 60 days of 2020 then Continue. On the next screen, if you do not know your deduction limit, you can simply ignore it and hit Continue. The next screen will be an RRSP Contribution screen for you or your wife. On the screen with your name, you will enter the information from the RRSP slip and then click on Done With RRSPs. Now you will be on the RRSP Contribution Summary where you can edit/delete information or click Done With RRSPs. You are now done entering your RRSP information.

DR2020
Returning Member

I am doing both returns together.  

DR2020
Returning Member

I found where to put the spousal RRSP amount.   

Thank you.