Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why is my tuition carried over from previous years not applied to my tax owing in Turbotax? I have enough to reduce my tax to zero this year.

1 Reply

Why is my tuition carried over from previous years not applied to my tax owing in Turbotax? I have enough to reduce my tax to zero this year.

Thank you for using TurboTax.

As a non-refundable credit, if the tuition amount is greater than the tax owed, the non-refundable credit can only be used to reduce or eliminate the student’s federal/provincial tax bill but won’t generate a refund. According to the Canada Revenue Agency, you aren’t able to use the full amount of the credit, any unused credits can be carried forward to a future tax year, or transferred to a spouse/common-law partner or parent/grandparent.

As seen in our TurboTax article, under Using Carry Forward Amounts: The amounts of unused credit are applied to reduce tax payable automatically. The Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) applies the available tuition amount carried forward every year to reduce your taxes to zero until it has all been used. 

If you need any further clarifications, we would be glad to assist you by having you contact us by phone or via Facebook or  Twitter