Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
Sign in to the Community or Sign in to TurboTax and start working on your taxes
posted Oct 29, 2019 7:01:55 PM

Rrsp to do with new homeowner

I keep getting a "Fix" message when I try to finalize my taxes.   It says my pension amount is greater than $2000 or greater than the amount of qualifying pension"   I go to fix and get a page that has to do with homeowners plan and Life long Learning plan.   I only wanted to enter my T4RSP and I have nothing to do with these two plans.   Is there a glitch in the Turbo tax or what is happening.  Help me anyone! 

0 9 1685
1 Best answer
Oct 29, 2019 7:01:56 PM

If you have joined spousal returns, and have used the pension splitting optimizer, it will throw this error if the software is double-dipping.  Sometimes it will split income that is eligible for the $2,000 pension amount and then pension split for more than the remainder of the pension.  When you end up with $4,200 each on a $5,000 pension, you get that error.

9 Replies
Oct 29, 2019 7:01:56 PM

If you have joined spousal returns, and have used the pension splitting optimizer, it will throw this error if the software is double-dipping.  Sometimes it will split income that is eligible for the $2,000 pension amount and then pension split for more than the remainder of the pension.  When you end up with $4,200 each on a $5,000 pension, you get that error.

Oct 29, 2019 7:01:57 PM

how do I change this???

Oct 29, 2019 7:01:59 PM

Well is this a software bug then? If so, how is this corrected when filling the taxes using turbo tax?

Oct 29, 2019 7:02:00 PM

oh by the way I am also running into this issue that jomarylin has reported.

Oct 29, 2019 7:02:02 PM

I think it may be a software issue too.  Never had trouble in previous years

Oct 29, 2019 7:02:03 PM

fyi...i was able to get on the phone with turbotax support and they are now escalating this to the development team as this could actually be a software bug.

Oct 29, 2019 7:02:04 PM

thank you!   I just spoke with them too so hopefully they can get it fixed

Oct 29, 2019 7:02:06 PM

The issue has been escalated to the development team. We'll provide an update when more information is available.

We are sorry for any inconvenience this has caused.

P.S: We'll be updating the following thread with updates:

https://turbotax.community.intuit.ca/questions/1108935-your-claim-for-pension-income-is-great-than-2-000-or-is-greater-than-the-amount-qualifying-pension-income-what-do-i-do-about-that

Oct 29, 2019 7:02:09 PM

Check  your software updates waiting to be effected. You will probably find an update to Turbotax which needs to be run