Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mhydie02

Should I file my husband income since he is in the Philippines?

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Should you file an income tax return for your husband? That would depend – did he live in Canada during 2017? Did he have income from Canadian sources? Does he have an Individual Tax Number (ITN) or a Social Insurance Number (SIN)? What is his residency status? If you are unsure, you should call the CRA and ask them for assistance. https://turbotax.community.intuit.ca/replies/2647704

Should you put your husband on your own tax return? Yes. If you are married, you say you are married, even if your spouse lives abroad. Prepare the return just for yourself. Report yourself as Married, and your spouse as non-resident and with zero income. If your spouse doesn’t have a Social Insurance Number (SIN) or an Individual Tax Number (ITN) you can just use zeros for the SIN number. Ex: 000 000 000

View solution in original post

1 Reply

Should you file an income tax return for your husband? That would depend – did he live in Canada during 2017? Did he have income from Canadian sources? Does he have an Individual Tax Number (ITN) or a Social Insurance Number (SIN)? What is his residency status? If you are unsure, you should call the CRA and ask them for assistance. https://turbotax.community.intuit.ca/replies/2647704

Should you put your husband on your own tax return? Yes. If you are married, you say you are married, even if your spouse lives abroad. Prepare the return just for yourself. Report yourself as Married, and your spouse as non-resident and with zero income. If your spouse doesn’t have a Social Insurance Number (SIN) or an Individual Tax Number (ITN) you can just use zeros for the SIN number. Ex: 000 000 000