Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I am an independent contractor for a family support group, and when I enter my income as self employed it calculates that I only pay CPP, not income tax.

I have an income of 25,000,  but large deductions as single parent with children, two disabled with high medical needs, and sports for the others.  Is it because these numbers are high, that no income tax is calculated? Will I have to pay quarterly going forward, and then get it refunded?  
Thanks!@
1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I am an independent contractor for a family support group, and when I enter my income as self employed it calculates that I only pay CPP, not income tax.

Actually from what you have described, it makes perfect sense that your income tax is nil.  The basic personal amount is $11,327, and the eligible dependent amount is also $11,327.  Between just those two credits, you have $22,654 to help offset taxes...and with your children's disabilities, and getting a credit for the employee portion of your CPP, it makes perfect sense that you would have no income tax owing.  The CPP is calculated as 9.9% of your net income above $3500.  You say your income is $25,000...so I would calculate your CPP owing as being:

($25,000 - $3,500) x 9.9 = $2128.50

View solution in original post

2 Replies

Actually from what you have described, it makes perfect sense that your income tax is nil.  The basic personal amount is $11,327, and the eligible dependent amount is also $11,327.  Between just those two credits, you have $22,654 to help offset taxes...and with your children's disabilities, and getting a credit for the employee portion of your CPP, it makes perfect sense that you would have no income tax owing.  The CPP is calculated as 9.9% of your net income above $3500.  You say your income is $25,000...so I would calculate your CPP owing as being:

($25,000 - $3,500) x 9.9 = $2128.50

Thanks! That does makes sense now when explained it like that.  And that is pretty much what my CPP owing is.  I still have enough credits that offset the CPP being owed, so I still have a small refund.