Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I add tuition carryover amounts not on my original tax return?

I submitted my return but realized I forgot to include my tuition carryover amount from previous years (line 323). I can't add that line to my return with CRA My Account when I try and change my return for this year (it doesn't show up when I search it). Am I unable to amend tuition carryover amounts? Or do I need to file it by mail?

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

If you have already filed your return, wait until your Notice of Assessment arrives. There's a good chance CRA will automatically add your unused tuition figures for you. The NOA will show this if they did.

If the unused tuition amounts are not added by CRA, you can submit an adjustment to this year's return to add the amounts.

https://turbotax.community.intuit.ca/replies/2647992

View solution in original post

8 Replies

If you have already filed your return, wait until your Notice of Assessment arrives. There's a good chance CRA will automatically add your unused tuition figures for you. The NOA will show this if they did.

If the unused tuition amounts are not added by CRA, you can submit an adjustment to this year's return to add the amounts.

https://turbotax.community.intuit.ca/replies/2647992

The actual Line 323 on the Schedule 1 is based on a calculation of other amounts (found on the S11). Where you enter the tuition amounts depends on whether or not you claimed any tuition on your return.

1. If you claimed an amount for tuition on line 323 and you want to adjust that amount (add carried forward amounts), the spot to enter the information is present without selecting a line number. The current amount you've claimed is also present. See picture below.

2. If you didn't claim any tuition amounts, select line 320 from the list. See picture below.

* Line 320 is from the Schedule 11. It's the total of the eligible tuition paid in the year plus the unused tuition amount you had from previous years

hkey

I have 3000 Federal tuition and 4500  Provincial tuition carry forward from 2016 that I did not claim on 2017 return. To adjust 2017, do I put 3000 in line 320? 3000 is more than eligible fees paid though, it includes education amounts. Where do I put the provincial amount?

Have you received back your 2017 NOA? CRA usually adds these credits automatically.
hkey

Yes. The credits were not there when I filed 2017 return. I filed 2016 return after I filed 2017 return. The credits were earned in 2016.

Has your 2016 return been processed? In cases like this, it's usually better to let the CRA's automated processes kick in. The tuition calculation is done automatically. There's a good chance that your 2017 return will be reassessed without having to submit an adjustment.
hkey

2016 has been processed. I can see the credits available for carryforward. Am I able to make the adjustment on Change My Return or not? I don't want to wait for a "maybe" CRA will reassess 2017 return.

Call the CRA directly for assistance. 1-800-959-8281.