Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is the difference between an eligible and non-eligible retiring allowance? Can I claim them both on my income tax?

I was given a severance package at the beginning of January 2017. I put some of it into an RRSP. I received two different contribution receipts and was told one portion was eligible and the other was not eligible.

What does that mean??

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

What is the difference between an eligible and non-eligible retiring allowance? Can I claim them both on my income tax?

The eligible portion means you were able to transfer into an RRSP without it counting towards your RRSP contribution limit for the year. For the non eligible portion, you will need to have RRSP room to be able to deduct it from income.

View solution in original post

1 Reply

The eligible portion means you were able to transfer into an RRSP without it counting towards your RRSP contribution limit for the year. For the non eligible portion, you will need to have RRSP room to be able to deduct it from income.