Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
crcbus

Turbo Tax has denied my RRSP contributions because I am over 71...but

Turbo Tax has denied my RRSP contributions because I am over 71...but the minimum RIF limits were changed and we were allowed to recontribute to our plan, the excess withdrawn.  We did so and have receipts to declare.  But the software will not allow.
1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

The following website is information regarding the changes to minimum withdrawal for RRIF: http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/gncy/bdgt/2015/qa02-eng.html According to CRA, if you are over 71, taxpayers should not be able to make re-contributions to their RRSPs (see question 11). Taxpayers were expected to recontribute back into their RRIF.

In the software, at box 24 of the T4RIF, it asks if any part of the amount in box 24 was transferred to a RRSP or a RRIF. The amount you indicate that was transferred will give you a corresponding deduction on line 232. (This would be the amount of your RRSP contribution).

View solution in original post

1 Reply

The following website is information regarding the changes to minimum withdrawal for RRIF: http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/gncy/bdgt/2015/qa02-eng.html According to CRA, if you are over 71, taxpayers should not be able to make re-contributions to their RRSPs (see question 11). Taxpayers were expected to recontribute back into their RRIF.

In the software, at box 24 of the T4RIF, it asks if any part of the amount in box 24 was transferred to a RRSP or a RRIF. The amount you indicate that was transferred will give you a corresponding deduction on line 232. (This would be the amount of your RRSP contribution).