Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

There is a serious software error in pension splitting.

Turbotax adds the split pension amount to the receiving spouse but does not deduct the equivalent (or any) pension income from the contributing spouse.  Consequently total income is vastly overstated.  It appears to be impossible to talk to anyone at Turbotax about a software error.  Others have reported the problem already without acknowledgement from Turbotax.  Any ideas?

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Pensioner's total income will not change after pension split, rather net income is going to be reduced. The amount of split pension shows up on line 210 of pensioner, which reduces net income (line 236) but not total income (line 150). 

View solution in original post

3 Replies

Pensioner's total income will not change after pension split, rather net income is going to be reduced. The amount of split pension shows up on line 210 of pensioner, which reduces net income (line 236) but not total income (line 150). 

fjenkins

Okay, I finally figured out (what I previously thought was an error in) the pension splitting as viewed from the Detailed Tax Summary. The total Pension income is inflated by the amount split (e.g., if 10 k$ is split, the total pension income goes up by 10 k$). However, under Deductions that 10 k$ is deducted from the income of the one spouse to produce a Net Income which is 10 k$ less than the Total Income (and in fact is the Total Income). The Total Income is inflated by the amount shared. The Net Income is the actual Total Income. Sorry to raise an alarm. I was premature in my judgement. Sorry folks.

Please... I have been trying to contact someone for DAYS.. YOU DOUBLE CHARGED ME FOR MY TURBOTAX.. PLEASE CONTACT ME AT purrfectpixie@hotmail.ca .. PLEASE