Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jh00743

Trying to transfer tuition from my son and it keeps showing as 0.00 even though the transfer is for $5000. Question bank says the bug is fixed but it doesn't seem to be.

4 Replies

Trying to transfer tuition from my son and it keeps showing as 0.00 even though the transfer is for $5000. Question bank says the bug is fixed but it doesn't seem to be.

In order to transfer your unused tuition credits to someone else, you'll first need to inform them of the precise amount(s) so that they can claim them on their own tax return. The first step is to enter your income information into TurboTax, then follow these instructions to claim your tuition fees. TurboTax will then automatically calculate the maximum amount of credits you may transfer to another party.

How to transfer your unused tuition credits:

Online edition CD/Download edition
  1. Select Find (or the magnifying glass icon) from the TurboTax menu, then type Students into the search bar.
  2. Select the Students option from the search results, then select Go. The Your Student Profile page appears.
  3. Select Transfer of tuition and education to a spouse, parent or grandparent, then select ContinueThe T2202A, TL11, and Tuition Fees Paid - Summary, or the T2202A, TL11, Relevé 8 and Tuition Fees Paid - Summary page appears.
  4. Select Done with tuition feesThe Transfer Tuition and Education page appears.
  5. Follow the on-screen instructions to enter the unused amount of federal tuition you want to transfer, then select Continue
  6. If you live in a province that allows provincial tuition credits, you will be prompted to enter those amounts next.
  1. Select Find (or the magnifying glass icon) from the TurboTax menu, then type Students into the search bar.
  2. Select the Students option from the search results, then select Go. The Your Student Profile page appears.
  3. Select Transfer of tuition and education to a spouse, parent, or grandparent, then select continue the Let's get you some tax breaks for going to school! page appears.
  4. Select Done with TuitionThe Transfer tuition (federal) step appears.
  5. Follow the on-screen instructions to enter the unused amount of federal tuition you want to transfer, then select the person you want to transfer them to, and select Enter
  6. If you live in a province that allows provincial tuition credits, you will be prompted to enter those amounts next.

For further information about tuition transfer, please visit the following link: Claiming a Tuition Amount From Your Child’s College.

If you require further assistance please contact our phone support team for further assistance or contact us directly on Facebook or Twitter

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.

hxtbtax
Returning Member

Hi,

I am experiencing the same thing as you did, I already finished my kid's return,  I have done everything mentioned in the answer to your question, it's still not working, I wonder if you can help me out, hope you can see this and reply me.  Thanks.

hxtbtax
Returning Member

Hi,

I did what you told, it's not working.  Are there any other way to help me out?

Thanks

hxtbtax
Returning Member

Already figured it out.  

Thanks