Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
roncannata
Returning Member

How can I transfer the pension income only, not the tax withheld at source, per the T4RIF, using the pension income splitting optimizer? Ron

It was not my intention for my wife to receive credit for taxes withheld from me on my RRIF withdrawal. How do I over-ride the tax withheld side of the pension transfer.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

How can I transfer the pension income only, not the tax withheld at source, per the T4RIF, using the pension income splitting optimizer? Ron

Unfortunately, you can't. There is no way to split your pension income without splitting the taxes withheld as well. 

CRA rules are: The income tax that is withheld at source from the eligible pension income will have to be allocated from the transferring spouse or common-law partner to the receiving spouse or common-law partner in the same proportion as the pension income is allocated.

View solution in original post

1 Reply

Unfortunately, you can't. There is no way to split your pension income without splitting the taxes withheld as well. 

CRA rules are: The income tax that is withheld at source from the eligible pension income will have to be allocated from the transferring spouse or common-law partner to the receiving spouse or common-law partner in the same proportion as the pension income is allocated.