Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jdjackett

Is there a way I can apply my Alberta prov.tuition credits earned as of Dec 31, 2016 to my 2017 BC tax return? TTAX enters the Fed value in Line 1 of Schedule BC(S11)

TTax only enters the 2016 Federal unused student tuition amount into the BC(S11). But the Remaining Alberta amount is higher. Now that I live in BC do I lose the ability to claim the full Alberta amount?

5 Replies

Is there a way I can apply my Alberta prov.tuition credits earned as of Dec 31, 2016 to my 2017 BC tax return? TTAX enters the Fed value in Line 1 of Schedule BC(S11)

When changing provinces you can not transport your provincial tuition carry forward amounts with you. The government does allow you to claim the same figure as the federal carry forward in the provincial carry forward schedule. As such you will use the Federal amount twice.

jdjackett

According to the CRA Advice line the above answer IS NOT correct. The CRA was very clear that credits earned up to December 31, 2016 would be taken away if you changed provinces. The agent was very clear that they do not penalize you for changing provinces and consulted with materials to double check her answer. The CRA agents response was to enter the December 31, 2016 value into line 1 of the BCS11 schedule.
jdjackett

Sorry typing mistake.... "that credits earned up to December 31, 2016 would NOT be taken away....

The CRA website is not helpful in the scenario you are describing and the information provided by CRA is misleading. There are a few websites that provide clarity on the use of tuition carried forward from another province. An example for this can be found here;
http://kdprofessional.ca/blog/what-to-do-with-unused-tuition-education-or-textbook-amounts-part-2

From a common sense approach, one province will not subject itself to the tax credits of another jurisdiction. To try and alleviate issues that arise when moving the Federal government rules will be the dominate claim.