Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

It's telling me i have claimed the amount of eligible dependent and must have that box check, but i have not and should not claim this

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

It's telling me i have claimed the amount of eligible dependent and must have that box check, but i have not and should not claim this

When using TurboTax Standard, click on the heading titled Deductions and click on Get started.

Click on continue until you get to the screen that says Claim Dependant Credits.

If you have a checkmark next to the claim for an eligible dependant, click on continue to the next screen.

Answer No to the question, "Do you wish to make the claim for the amount for an eligible dependant (formerly the "Equivalent-to-spouse amount")

This will remove the claim for eligible dependant from your income tax return.

View solution in original post

1 Reply

When using TurboTax Standard, click on the heading titled Deductions and click on Get started.

Click on continue until you get to the screen that says Claim Dependant Credits.

If you have a checkmark next to the claim for an eligible dependant, click on continue to the next screen.

Answer No to the question, "Do you wish to make the claim for the amount for an eligible dependant (formerly the "Equivalent-to-spouse amount")

This will remove the claim for eligible dependant from your income tax return.