Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I have T4 and Box 81 with income. I paid CPP, EI and Box 14 is empty. Can I enter Box 81 number in Box 14? If I do that, do I need to do T2125?

I have T4 and Box 81 with income. I paid CPP, EI and Box 14 is empty. Can I enter Box 81 number in Box 14? If I do that, do I need to do T2125?

5 Replies

This can be an issue if you have been employed through a placement agency. 

Some,not all, such agencies could treat staff as self-employed and place income in box 81.

Lately I notice very few instances of this happening, and I suspect CRA may have a hand in that.

To answer your question, yes, if you think you were placed as an employee, not self-employed, enter the box 81 amount in box 14, everything else as is.

which turbo tax can help to report T4 box 81 and t2125?

The Standard edition and up.

I have used this approach several times in the past to file placement workers whose T4s have box 81 filled instead of box 14. This 2018 tax season I’ve done more returns, but seen no placement worker T4 like this. I think earlier issuers had it wrong, and CRA has ‘educated’ them.
Ran5345
Returning Member

Hello,

I am a little confused on this subject as I have "2" T4 statements to report on my 2019 tax and both are from "Employment Agencies" that I was contracted out for and placed (so I am an employee of the Agency, being placed by then and paid by them). One of my T4's has Box 14 filled out with the Income and my second T4 from another agency has box 81 filled out, NOT Box 14 which I normally see? When I was doing my taxes online and filling in the information, the "Total Income" only picked up my Income from the first statement Box 14 and not the second one of Box 81?? Can I take that amount and include it in Box 14 for that particular statement or is that incorrect? It is income from employment

Thank you.