Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

While entering information about my spouse, it asks for my 2019 income as per federal tax return. My spouse has not yet done his return. He will do it on your site later

1 Reply

While entering information about my spouse, it asks for my 2019 income as per federal tax return. My spouse has not yet done his return. He will do it on your site later

When you don’t know your spouse’s income and can’t find out through reasonable means, the CRA recommends that you enter your best estimate.

• The CRA will assess you and your spouse’s (or former spouse’s) returns together to ensure that credits and deductions were correctly applied between you. If there’s any inaccuracy or mismatch, they’ll reassess your returns.
  • Tip: You may want to save your tax refund (if any) until you receive your Notice of Assessment or Reassessment in case some or all of it needs to be repaid.

Important: If you don’t enter your spouse’s income (or an estimate), it’s important that you do not claim the Spousal Amount.

To avoid claiming the Spousal Amount, follow the instructions below.

Select the image of the magnifying glass (or Find) in the upper-right area of TurboTax.

1. Enter “information” in the Find window.
    2. Select Information About Your Spouse or Common-Law Partner from the list of results, and then select Go.

Now, let’s get [name’s] information step appears.

1. Fill out the form in TurboTax.
    2. Select Continue.

Tell us more about [name] step appears.

1. Follow the instruction below that matches your situation.
      • If your spouse’s net income is more than $1, select "No" where it says Was [name’s] net income for 20xx zero? Then enter “$25,000” where it says Net income from [name]’s 20xx federal tax return.
      • If your spouse’s net income is $1 or less, select Yes where it says Was [name’s] net income for 20xx zero?

Note: Entering $25,000 won’t affect the outcome of your return; it simply makes you ineligible for the Spousal Amount.

1. Select "No" where it says Are you claiming the spousal amount?
  2. Fill out the rest of the form in TurboTax.
  3. Select Continue.