Pick a language

Français English
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Why apply tuition credits to 2018?

I've had unused tuition credits since 2004. Why did the software apply them to this particular year (2018) when I have no working income (disability), a dependant, and medical expenses? I'd like to continue to carry them forward. I don't undersatnd... Also, I used this software last year, but it says there is no info for a year-to-year comparison.

3 Replies
Highlighted

Unfortunately, you cannot choose to carry forward your tuition amounts. You must claim your tuition, education, and textbook amounts in the year they are incurred and you must claim any carry forward amounts in the first year you have tax payable. Although you may have no "working income", your Disability payments are likely taxable and the tuition credits will apply before any medical credits you may have.

If you have tuition carryforwards on file with CRA, they will be applied to your return automatically, even if you attempt to carry them forward. This means if you were to file your tax return without including the tuition carry forward amounts, CRA would include them for you and make you use them. :(

Highlighted

Thanks for the reply.  I'm still confused.  As I said,  I've had this credit listed as a carry over amount since 2004. Ive had several good years between now and then and even carried a negative balance from an overpayment. Never did the CRA force me to apply this credit. It always showed as available to carry over.
Highlighted

Maybe give CRA a call, or log in to your CRA MyAccount to have a look at your CarryForward history. We don't very often see C/Fs carrying forward for that many years, and I would be curious to know "why" they are being applied this year, as well :smile::smile:
v