Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why was all my tuition credit used in one year? Do I not get the option of using it or not?

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Why was all my tuition credit used in one year? Do I not get the option of using it or not?

CRA does not give you the option to carry forward your tuition credits if you need to use them to reduce your tax payable.

• You have to claim your current tuition fees or any amounts carried forward if you need to reduce your tax payable. You may need to use all of the credit or just some of the credit depending on how much tax you owe, only if the entire amount is not needed do you have the option to Carry Forward or Transfer the credit.

You have to claim this amount in the first year that you have to pay income tax, and CRA will automatically apply any amounts available to your tax return.

https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency/services/tax/individuals/topics/about-your-tax-return/tax-re...

View solution in original post

1 Reply

CRA does not give you the option to carry forward your tuition credits if you need to use them to reduce your tax payable.

• You have to claim your current tuition fees or any amounts carried forward if you need to reduce your tax payable. You may need to use all of the credit or just some of the credit depending on how much tax you owe, only if the entire amount is not needed do you have the option to Carry Forward or Transfer the credit.

You have to claim this amount in the first year that you have to pay income tax, and CRA will automatically apply any amounts available to your tax return.

https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency/services/tax/individuals/topics/about-your-tax-return/tax-re...