Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
Sign in to the Community or Sign in to TurboTax and start working on your taxes
posted Oct 30, 2019 8:09:54 AM

Why when I enter only part of my 2017 tuition fees for the Manitoba advance tuition fee income tax rebate do I get an error?

For 2017, only the  part of your tuition fees before May are available for the tax rebate so when Turbo Tax flags entering only part as an error to fix, I don't think that's correct.

0 16 1660
16 Replies
Oct 30, 2019 8:09:55 AM

I will attach some screen shots to compare with the information you have provided to Turbo Tax. 

Oct 30, 2019 8:09:57 AM

Do you have tuition fees for a program that started after May 2017?

Oct 30, 2019 8:09:58 AM

Will confirm for you if the error can be ignored and still Netfiled.

Oct 30, 2019 8:09:59 AM

This error does prevent netfiling.  Please update the program to fix this error as it no longer applies, since we could only claim partial 2017 fees prior to May when this credit was discontinued.  The program only wants 0 or the full tuition fees for the year entered, which in 2017 isn't an option since the credit doesn't apply after May.  Again please fix this in the next update so those of us affected can netfile our returns. Thank you.

Oct 30, 2019 8:10:01 AM

go to the slip screen for the T2202A, there is no place to enter a breakdown in fees for the part that was incurred before May if you are a Manitoba resident. You have breakdowns for other provinces but you need to add one to that screen for Manitoba residents. I'm guessing the screen shots you posted are if you are going through the interview process which someone who has used your product before and knows where to enter information slips probably wouldn't do so they don't see a screen like the 4th one you posted. That screen shot should be part of the screen where you enter the T2202A info and it's not.

Oct 30, 2019 8:10:02 AM

Thank you for providing the Netfile error update. You scenario has been passed on to technical support for investigation and required fixes.

Oct 30, 2019 8:10:04 AM

Unfortunately it doesn’t let us netfile with this error, we tried with no luck.

Oct 30, 2019 8:10:05 AM

Unfortunately I don’t know how to show you a screenshot of this error, but as stated it can’t be ignored and still netfiled.  Is this something that may get fixed with an update or should I just print and mail the forms? Thank you.

Oct 30, 2019 8:10:06 AM

Maybe I didn't make my point clear but d21foster summed it all up correctly. You can enter everything in the software correctly. The total tuition fees and the part that you are claiming for the Manitoba advance tuition fee income tax rebate BUT when you try and NetFile it, YOU CAN'T, because the software flags anything more than zero tuition fees and less than 100% of tuition fees as an error for Manitoba residents. The edit check needs to be changed to a warning or the input screen for the T2202a needs to provide for separate input of tuition fees paid to April 30th for MB residents like there is already separate input boxes for SK and ON residents

Oct 30, 2019 8:10:08 AM

Could you please advise where you are at with this fix?  I cannot file my daughters taxes without the fix and in turn we cannot process ours.  Please adivse.

Oct 30, 2019 8:10:09 AM

Checking for an update on this error. If your daughter has transferred tuition to yourself and claimed the transfer on Schedule 11 and the  provincial (MB)schedule 11 you can proceed to file your own tax return. The delay for her Netfile will not impact the processing of your tax return. Marching is done after the tax season automatically by CRA during the summer.

Oct 30, 2019 8:10:11 AM

I am receiving the same error message regarding the Manitoba Advance Tuition Fee Rebate as I have tuition expenses from January-May 2017 and from September-December 2017; as such, the total amount I can claim for the Tuition Fee Rebate Advance is NOT my total tuition because the government of Manitoba is phasing this credit out. Is there a fix yet?

Oct 30, 2019 8:10:12 AM

So TurboTax support, what is happening with this?  So far the error has not been fixed in an update and we haven't heard back on where they are at in fixing it.  How hard is it to change the program to allow any number between 0 and the total tuition for the year so there is no error?  PLEASE let us know what is happening or get it fixed already.

Oct 30, 2019 8:10:13 AM

I agree. It would be nice to hear A response instead of NO response, even if that response indicates that no fix is available. Not knowing what is going on makes it difficult to decide on a course of action and it is getting really frustrating.

Oct 30, 2019 8:10:15 AM

So as not to hold up the biggest part of the refund, I just deleted the advance rebate claim, netfiled the return and filled out a T1 adjustment request form on the CRA website and mailed it in to amend the return to get the 5% for the advance tuition fee income tax rebate since it's already been over 3 weeks since my initial post. It may take 6 - 8 weeks to get the other part of the refundthis way but I have had the majority of the refund for a week an a half already.

Oct 30, 2019 8:10:16 AM

We are sorry that it took so long to solve the problem, but we have just released an update that we believe resolves the issue for TurboTax CD/Download users. Please update your software and try to NETFILE again. If you are using TurboTax Online, we hope to have an update to fix the issue released at the end of next week. 

If you need to manually apply the update: https://turbotax.community.intuit.ca/replies/2868252

If the update still doesn’t resolve the issue, please let us know here on the forums or contact our phone support (*Not available for TurboTax Free users*). https://turbotax.community.intuit.ca/replies/3152013