Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CFP Carry Forwards - Unused RRSP Contributions indicated by CRA website, can it be trusted as I have not made any RRSP purchases in many years?

When I use the tax application to log into CRA website and download all the information I need, it displays that I have a certain amount of unused RRSP and when downloaded with the t4s it dramatically increases my return. Can I trust this information that is downloaded from the CRA website that is displayed in the tax application?

1 Reply

CFP Carry Forwards - Unused RRSP Contributions indicated by CRA website, can it be trusted as I have not made any RRSP purchases in many years?

Yes, if CRA has that information in their files as "unused contributions" you can trust it and claim the deduction on your return.

This happens quite often if you missed claiming a deduction years ago. Because CRA gets a copy of the RRSP Contributions slips as well, they will often add the slip when you use the AutoFill service. You can always go look at your RRSP Contibutions made and pinpoint where this one(or more) is coming from. Do so using your CRA My Account.