Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I got a RRSP upon retirement from her employer.this shows up on box 67 on her T4 .She took 5000 out which I recorded as RRSP income. .Do I report the cashed in RRSP?

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I got a RRSP upon retirement from her employer.this shows up on box 67 on her T4 .She took 5000 out which I recorded as RRSP income. .Do I report the cashed in RRSP?

You should have three separate tax slips for this transaction and need to report them as follows:

• The amount in Box 67 of a T4 (Non-Eligible Retiring Allowance) needs to be reported as income even if you didn't purchase an RRSP. 
  • If an RRSP was purchased, that is a totally separate tax slip and needs to be entered on the tax return of who "contributed" to it. (If this was a "spousal RRSP", it will say Contributor and Annuitant and gets reported by the Contributor.)
  • If an RRSP was then withdrawn, a T4RSP slip showing the amount of the withdrawal and any income tax withheld on it will be issued. (If this was a "spousal RRSP, the slip is issued in the annuitant's name and special rules apply if it was withdrawn within 3 years of contributing).

View solution in original post

1 Reply

You should have three separate tax slips for this transaction and need to report them as follows:

• The amount in Box 67 of a T4 (Non-Eligible Retiring Allowance) needs to be reported as income even if you didn't purchase an RRSP. 
  • If an RRSP was purchased, that is a totally separate tax slip and needs to be entered on the tax return of who "contributed" to it. (If this was a "spousal RRSP", it will say Contributor and Annuitant and gets reported by the Contributor.)
  • If an RRSP was then withdrawn, a T4RSP slip showing the amount of the withdrawal and any income tax withheld on it will be issued. (If this was a "spousal RRSP, the slip is issued in the annuitant's name and special rules apply if it was withdrawn within 3 years of contributing).