Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

In 2017 I paid $575 for an online course which I decided to withdraw from but it was too late to get a refund. Can I still claim this on my income tax?

1 Reply

In 2017 I paid $575 for an online course which I decided to withdraw from but it was too late to get a refund. Can I still claim this on my income tax?

You will have received a tax certificate from your educational institution with the total eligible fees paid for the tax year.

Designated educational institutions include:

• Canadian universities, colleges, and certain other educational institutions

• Canadian educational institutions certified by Employment and Social Development Canada (ESDC) providing courses that develop or improve skills in an occupation, other than courses designed for university credit

• universities outside Canada where the qualifying student is enrolled in a course that lasts at least three consecutive weeks and leads to a degree at the bachelor level or higher

• Qualifying educational program

• This is a program that lasts at least three consecutive weeks and requires a minimum of 10 hours of instruction or work in the program each week (not including study time), at a designated educational institution (other than an institution certified by the Minister of Employment and Social Development to be an educational institution providing courses, other than courses designed for university credit, that give a person with skills for, or improve a person’s skills in, an occupation.)

• An individual undertaking a post-doctoral fellowship is not considered to be enrolled in a qualifying educational program. 

An online or virtual course will qualify for the tuition tax credit provided it meets the definition of a designated educational institution and qualifying as an educational program. Completion of the program or graduation is not a necessary requirement to allow the tax credit.