turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

watts1955

I have e-filed my federal return but turbo tax will not e-fil my North Carolina state return.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

53 Replies

I have e-filed my federal return but turbo tax will not e-fil my North Carolina state return.

@watts1955 

If you efiled the Federal return separately by itself, has it been accepted yet?   When Federal is filed separately, you can't efile a state return until the Federal has been accepted.

If that's not the situation, then you'll have to provide more info for someone who may can help in this user community forum.   But this is a public forum, so don't post any personal info.

What happens when you try to efile the NC return?   What is the reason TurboTax says it cannot efile the NC return?   Is there any error message?   Have you gone through the REVIEW tab to see if it tells you what the roadblock is?

@watts1955 

Also, I just now see that quite a few North Carolina forms are not yet finalized and ready for efiling.  Several will not be available until 2/24/2022.    Check the NC forms availability list here:

State Forms Availability Tables

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/forms/help/state-forms-availability-table-for-turbotax-individual-...

nikki41
Returning Member

I am having the same issue with my NC efile. I have tried to submit the federal but it has not been accepted as of yet. I am getting a message that turbo tax can not file the state return and from what I have heard they are the only ones having this issue. 

schmittd3
Returning Member

I receive the following message when I try to transmit my NC return. The federal return is filed and accepted.

"The Intuit Electronic Filing System is having difficulty recognizing the data in the return you are sending".

@schmittd3 wrote:

I receive the following message when I try to transmit my NC return. The federal return is filed and accepted.

"The Intuit Electronic Filing System is having difficulty recognizing the data in the return you are sending".

The North Carolina Individual Income Tax Return Form D-400 is not yet available for e-filing.  It is estimated to be available on 02/24/2022

Go to this TurboTax website for North Carolina state forms availability - https://care-cdn.prodsupportsite.a.intuit.com/forms-availability/turbotax_nc_online_individual.html

donstim

That form is now available. My Turbotax program was updated with it and goes through the filing process all the way to the end (after accepting payment for it) and then fails.

nagshead

I am having the same proplem federal taxes efiled and accepted turbo tax files are up to date north carolina forms up to date payment accepted went through state e-file process get message that turbo tax is unable to process and send data says to check with turbo tax support. what is your answer

@nagshead wrote:

I am having the same proplem federal taxes efiled and accepted turbo tax files are up to date north carolina forms up to date payment accepted went through state e-file process get message that turbo tax is unable to process and send data says to check with turbo tax support. what is your answer

The North Carolina Individual Income Tax Return Form D-400 is not yet available for e-filing.  It is estimated to be available on 02/24/2022

Go to this TurboTax website for North Carolina state forms availability - https://care-cdn.prodsupportsite.a.intuit.com/forms-availability/turbotax_nc_online_individual.html

If you want to e-file your federal tax return now then change how you file the NC state return.  This assumes that all of the forms and schedules included in your federal tax return are available for e-filing.

If using the TurboTax online editions click on File on the left side of the online program screen.  On Step 3 of the File section click on Start or Revisit.  Select the button File by Mail.  Then change the filing status of the state return.

After the federal return is e-filed and accepted by the IRS you can e-file the state return when it is available for e-filing.  Just use the same procedure and change the state return back to e-filing.

The NC D-400 forms for simple returns are available and TurboTax will update those forms to your return.  However, NC will not allow the return to be transmitted via e-file until at least 24 Feb at the earliest.  This was on our local tv news yesterday.  Hope this helps.

Katina S
Intuit Alumni

You are correct. The expected date for some of the forms to be available is February 24, 2022. Here is the North Carolina form availability table for a comprehensive list.

@autiger7296

I've had the same problem,  previously received an email from Intuit that the NC forms were ready.  Updates applied, ran Turbo Tax 2021 Deluxe, e-file Federal worked, NC state return continues to fail AFTER I paid the $20 to e-file.  From what I can tell now, it looks like certain forms eligible for e-filing won'y be ready until 2/24.  Wish Intuit handled this better.  Now I'll wait another week or so I guess and try to file NC State return again.

The form that is holding up the acceptance of the NC tax forms being accepted by the state is the NC info worksheet. It says that it is unsupported. Does that mean that the state just has not issued the form yet. Or will it never be supported. My federal return has already been accepted and I even tried to print out the state forms but it would not allow me to do so...This is totally unacceptable .....Turbotax has to provide more info of what unsupported means...

My 2020 NC e-file did not include NC Information Worksheet - what is it that tells you this form is "holding up the acceptance" of the return?  The key forms that are required say "2/24/22" and the scads of other forms say "unsupported"  -- because, I assume, they are not included in the e-file.

MichelleLO
Intuit Alumni

The NC Information Worksheet is not supported for e-filing because it is an information sheet for personal benefit that is neither required nor e-filed.  You can monitor the status of the forms needed for your return via the link below. If the forms become available sooner than the currently published date, the article will be updated to reflect the new availability date.

North Carolina Individual Form Availability

@Ramwiz

@DaveinCharlotte1

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies