turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cabellkc
Returning Member

Missing refund money.

I was only issued not even a quarter percentage of turbo taxes accepted 18 page tax return so I would like for a representative to get in touch with me without requiring an upfront fee when I do not even know if they will review the states calculations that I will send to them to determine the cause of the difference and provide the explanation that is needed for the rest of the over 75 percent to be issued. Only then should they charge me a fee that I will agree upon to be deducted from the over 75 percent that they would be able to achieve getting issued to me.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

10 Replies

Missing refund money.

MY STATE REFUND WAS LESS THAN I EXPECTED

The state will send you a letter explaining the change.  TurboTax does not get any feedback from your state after your return is accepted, so no one at TT knows why your state refund was less.   Did you owe back taxes, child support, or student loans?  Traffic fines, etc.?

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
cabellkc
Returning Member

Missing refund money.

Turbo is more than welcome to receive from me the states two page bogus explanation & determine the difference as to why it is $1155.00 shorter than their calculation leaving me with a refund of less than 75percent of what turbo accepted. Turbo is more than welcome to explain that difference to either myself or the state if they choose to and prepare me with whatever needed forms to provide argument for my disagreement with the enormous adjust. Turbo could then if they are able to win my money, charge an agreed upon beforehand percentage of the rest of my refund.  Turbo also mentions unemployment compensation and if they actually have any help with obtaining any of that, it would more than likely be needed however I’m not interested in giving turbo a portion of any weekly unemployment benefits at all but they may be able to receive a small one time payment if they have the connection to maybe press a button that says eligible because they know that I am. Turbo has my phone line and email on file but they want to get paid without doing any work.

Missing refund money.

TurboTax cannot legally intercede with the IRS or your state for you.  TurboTax provided do-it-yourself tax software for you to use to prepare and file your tax return.  TT is not going to negotiate unemployment compensation for you with your state.  Only you can apply for unemployment compensation in your state.  TurboTax has no involvement with that whatsoever.

What you paid for and got from TurboTax was software to prepare a tax return---as opposed to sitting down with paper forms, a calculator and a 108 page IRS instruction book and a state tax instruction book.

If you cannot understand the letter from your state:

TurboTax has a special phone number for help with IRS/state tax letters, which will be easier than going through regular Customer Support.   At the page below, click on the blue button that says "Get Help from TurboTax Support".  Then it will ask you what tax year is your letter.  Then it will ask you what the letter concerns. Then it will show you the phone number during posted business hours.

https://support.turbotax.intuit.com/irs-notice/audit-support/

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
Lucylu23

Missing refund money.

Im missing 500 dollars 

JotikaT2
Employee Tax Expert

Missing refund money.

Can you please clarify your question? 

Were you supposed to get an additional $500 on a federal or state tax return?

Or do you have an additional $500 of income that you need to report.  

Please comment so we can assist you accordingly.

Thank you.

@Lucylu23

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
cabellkc
Returning Member

Missing refund money.

Your answering a year later.  The state took $1155.00 from my refund.  I didn’t know why my refund was being held hostage.  I needed Turbo to help me to know the difference between their calculations and the states.  In December the state finally said that their excuse was being that they feel as though I should provide proof of daycare expenses for the disabled senior I took care of and had listed as a Dependent.  It was my out of pocket expenses and care on the disabled senior by myself.  I dnt believe that I shld need to provide paperwork stating that I paid someone else. 

Missing refund money.

Please understand that TT is primarily a computer software program for users to prepare their own tax returns. As such a tool, it relies upon your data entry and answers to the questions to accurately calculate your taxes.  So, if the govt is asking you for documentation of expenses you claimed, YOU are the only one that can provide those.

Missing refund money.

@cabellkc It sounds like you misunderstood what the child and dependent care credit is for.  That credit is used if you have to pay someone else to take care of your child or dependent while YOU are at work.    It is not for the "expenses" you had for taking care of a family member.

You can claim an adult as a dependent if they meet the criteria---but you cannot add in "expenses" for claiming them too except for any medical expenses you paid for them, which can be entered if you are itemizing deductions.

IRS interview to help determine who can be claimed:

https://www.irs.gov/help/ita/who-can-i-claim-as-a-dependent

Jpf2995

Missing refund money.

I received two emails from turbo tax stating the total dollar amount from both state and federal return. But when the refund was deposited, it was missing 140 dollars or so. 

Checked over my refund via track my refund/where do I go from here and the total amount hasn't changed to the amount that was deposited. Still waiting for my state return to see if money is missing from there as well.

Missing refund money.

@ Jpf2995 wrote:

I received two emails from turbo tax stating the total dollar amount from both state and federal return. But when the refund was deposited, it was missing 140 dollars or so. 

Checked over my refund via track my refund/where do I go from here and the total amount hasn't changed to the amount that was deposited. Still waiting for my state return to see if money is missing from there as well.

The Federal and state refunds come separately.   The amount of your Federal refund is shown on your Form 1040, Line 35a.   Is that the figure that is $140 short?

See if this would account for the $140:

Did you have any TurboTax product fees that you chose to pay out of the Federal refund?   If so, in addition to the product fees that payment option also has a $40 service fee ($45 for California filers), and possible sales taxes.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies