Can I change the spouse or common-law partner amou... - Community `

Why sign in to the Community?

  • Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes

Pick a language

Français English
For information related to Covid-19 and how to get help if you lost your job, please see The Covid-19 Tax Info Center
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I change the spouse or common-law partner amount?

The spouse or common-law partner amount is automatically calculated in TurboTax based on your spouse/partner's net income, which means that you are unable to edit this amount in your return. You may only choose whether to claim or not claim the amount altogether.  



If your spouse/partner is a non-resident of Canada, you may still be eligible for the spouse or common-law partner amount if you are supporting them. If you immigrated or emigrated during the tax year, the CRA recommends that you contact them to determine your eligibility.  



If you don't want to claim the spouse or common-law partner amount, click here for instructions on how to remove it from your return.  



Related information:

I'm separated or divorced. Why am I being asked for info about my former spouse/partner?

What do I do if I don't know my spouse's income?

Spouse or common-law partner amount (source: CRA)

Was this helpful?

You must sign in to vote, reply, or post
Intuit TurboTax - Finish filing and get your maximum refund, guaranteed.

Returning? Sign in