What is the Solidarity Tax Credit and how do I cla... - Community `

Why sign in to the Community?

  • Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes

Pick a language

Français English
For information related to Covid-19 and how to get help if you lost your job, please see The Covid-19 Tax Info Center
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is the Solidarity Tax Credit and how do I claim it in TurboTax?

The Solidarity Tax Credit is a refundable tax credit provided to low-income earners, which reduces a portion of the income tax owed. The amount of the credit is paid out over 12 months and depends on factors such as family income and the number of dependents.

You can claim the solidarity tax credit for you met all the following requirements on December 31st of the tax year:

  • You were 18 or older, or, if you were younger than 18, you:
    • Had a spouse;
    • Were the parent of a child who lived with you; or
    • You were an emancipated minor.
  • You were a resident of Québec;
  • You or your spouse was:
    • A Canadian citizen;
    • A permanent resident or a protected person
    • A temporary resident or the holder of a temporary resident permit.

You are not eligible for the solidarity tax credit, if:

  • Someone received the child assistance payment from Retraite Québec for you for December.
  • You were confined to a prison or similar institution on December 31st and were confined for more than 183 days.

Claiming the Solidarity Tax Credit in TurboTax

When you've indicated that you're a resident of Québec, TurboTax automatically guides you through the steps to claim the Solidarity Tax Credit when you reach the Provincial section of your return.

To jump directly to the Solidarity Tax Credit:

  1. Select Find in the upper-right hand corner.
  2. In the Find window, type Solidarity Tax Credit.
  3. Select Solidarity Tax Credit from the list and then select Go.

Note: To skip or decline a claim of the Solidarity Tax Credit, skip through the section by selecting the Continue button without entering any info, until you reach the Other Québec Income Profile step.

Dwelling: A house, an apartment or a similar place of residence in which a person ordinarily eats and sleeps and that is equipped with kitchen and bathroom facilities.

Eligible Dwelling: A building located in Québec in which an individual ordinarily lives and that is the individual's principal residence, excluding, for example,

  • a dwelling in low-rental housing within the meaning of the Civil Code of Québec that is an HLM or a dwelling for which the Société d'habitation du Québec agrees to pay an amount towards the rent;
  • a dwelling in a facility maintained by a public institution or private institution under agreement (publicly funded) that operates a hospital centre, a residential and long-term care centre (CHSLD) or a rehabilitation centre governed by the Act respecting health services and social services;
  • a dwelling located in a hospital centre or reception centre within the meaning of the Act respecting health services and social services for Cree Native persons;
  • a dwelling for which an amount is paid toward rent under a program governed by the National Housing Act (for example, a dwelling located in a housing cooperative);
  • a dwelling located in a building or residential facility where the services of an intermediate resource or a family-type resource are offered;
  • a room located in the principal residence of the landlord where fewer than three rooms are rented or offered for rent, unless the room has either a separate entrance from the outside or sanitary facilities separate from those used by the landlord;
  • a room located in a hotel establishment or in a rooming house that is leased or subleased for a period of fewer than 60 consecutive days.

Owner: A person who holds a title deed in the land register.

Spouse: Person from whom you have not been living separate and apart for 90 days or more because of the breakdown of your relationship, and

  • to whom you are married;
  • with whom you are living in a civil union; or
  • who is your de facto spouse.

A de facto spouse is a person (of the opposite sex or of the same sex) who

  • is living in a conjugal relationship with you and is the biological or adoptive parent (legally or in fact) of a child of whom you are also the parent; or
  • has been living in a conjugal relationship with you for at least 12 consecutive months (if you were separated for fewer than 90 days, the 12-month period is considered not to have been interrupted).

Tenant or subtenant: A person who is leasing or subleasing a dwelling and is therefore responsible for paying the rent.

Owners of a residence located in a territory where municipal tax bills are not issued: In territories where no municipal tax bills are issued, the body that has jurisdiction over the territory must issue an RL-31 slip to every person who, on December 31, 2016, was the owner of a residence in that territory. If you or your spouse has not received an RL-31 slip by mid-March 2017, contact the body in question. If you are still unable to get the slip, contact Revenu Québec.

Was this helpful?

You must sign in to vote, reply, or post
Intuit TurboTax - Finish filing and get your maximum refund, guaranteed.

Returning? Sign in