Are contributions to a Registered Education Saving...

Why sign in to the Community?

  • Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes

Pick a language

CanadaFrançais United States of AmericaEnglish
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
TurboTax Support

Are contributions to a Registered Education Savings Plan (RESP), tax-deductible?

RESPs do not work the same way that RRSPs do, as RESP contributions can not be deducted on your tax return. However, there are other government incentives associated with RESPs that you may be able to claim.

A few of the more common examples of this are below, along with detailed information on the amounts you can expect to claim (if eligible).

For more information about RESPs and the incentive programs listed above, you can visit the CRA website or view the CRA publication RC4092 Registered Education Savings Plans (RESPs).

If you contribute to an RESP annually, you could be eligible for the Canada Education Savings Grant. With this grant, Employment and Social Development Canada adds the equivalent of 20% of your annual RESP contributions to the RESP, up to a maximum CESG of $500 (or $1,000 if there is unused grant room from previous years), with a lifetime maximum of $7,200.

Even if you don’t contribute to an RESP, an eligible child can qualify for the CLB. If a child is eligible, the Government of Canada contributes up to $2,000 to their RESP (an initial $500 followed by $100 each year the child is eligible, up until the calendar year they turn 15), as well as $25 to cover the costs of opening the plan. This bond is for children who were born on or after January 1, 2004, and who come from low-income families.

Related Information:

Can I claim both federal and provincial tuition and education amounts?

Claiming Tuition and Other Educational Expenses

How do I claim my tuition fees?

Frequently asked questions about transferring tuition and education amounts

Was this helpful?

You must sign in to vote, reply, or post
Intuit TurboTax - Finish filing and get your maximum refund, guaranteed.

Returning? Sign in