We recognize that with the rapidly evolving COVID-19 (Coronavirus) situation in Canada, these are uncertain times for everyone.
We want to reassure you that TurboTax products continue to be available and our support services remain accessible. If you are working on your taxes--which you should do at your earliest convenience to benefit from any potential refund that might be coming your way--our support staff is available via the Community forums, Twitter and Facebook to help.
We continue to work closely with the Canada Revenue Agency and the different provincial governments. Please read the information below for the latest changes announced by the Federal and Provincial governments regarding tax deadline extensions.
Federal Tax Updates (Last Update: 8/04/20)
Deadline for filing Federal income tax return pushed to June 1, 2020
- Note: If you haven’t filed your 2019 tax return yet, your upcoming benefits may be affected. If the CRA is unable to assess your return by early September 2020, your estimated CCB benefits and/or GST/HST credits will stop in October 2020 and you may have to repay the estimated amounts that were issued to you starting in July 2020.
Payments deferred to after September 30, 2020
- Note: This applies to the payment of any income tax amounts that become owing on or after today, 03/18/20, and before September 2020. This relief applies to tax balances due and installments. No interest or penalties will accumulate on these amounts during this period.
Arrears interest waived on existing tax debt(s)
- Note: This applies to individual, corporation, and trust income tax returns from April 1, 2020, to September 30, 2020, and from April 1, 2020, to June 30, 2020, for Goods and Services Tax/Harmonized Sales Tax (GST/HST) returns. While this measure for existing tax debts does not cancel penalties and interest already assessed on a taxpayer’s account prior to this period, it will ensure that a taxpayer’s existing tax debt will not grow through interest charges during this difficult time.
More information to come.
Quebec Tax Updates (Last Update: 8/04/20)
- Deadline for QC provincial tax filing delayed by 31 days, until June 1, 2020, for both individuals and businesses.
- Individuals: No payments or interests are required before August 31, 2020.
Note: Revenue Quebec will require individuals to pay back amounts paid to them if they fail to file a 2019 tax return, as well as any over-payments made further to processing a 2019 tax return.
- Businesses: No payments or installments are required before July 31, 2020.