In order to provide greater flexibility to Canadians who may be experiencing hardships during the COVID-19 outbreak, the Canada Revenue Agency has enacted the following measures:
- For individuals, the return filing due date will be extended until June 1, 2020.
- For trusts, the return filing due date will be extended until May 1, 2020.
- All taxpayers now have until after August 31, 2020, to pay any income tax amounts that become owing before September 2020. This would apply to tax balances due, as well as installments. No interest or penalties will accumulate on these amounts during this period.
- Effective immediately, the CRA will temporarily accept electronic signatures as authorization on forms T183 and T183CORP.
- Adapting its Outreach Program, by providing phone and webinar support in place of traditional in-person services.
We encourage all individuals who expect to receive benefits under the GSTC or the Canada Child Benefit not to delay the filing of their return, in order to ensure their entitlements for the 2020-21 benefit year are properly determined.