If you've recently lost a loved one, we'd like to first offer our sincere condolences for your loss. Filing a final return can be a difficult process, and we'll do our best to make it as straightforward and painless as we can.
To start, you'll want to make sure that you have all available T-slips and income information available for the deceased, as well as their DOD (date of death), and personal information. You will need to refer to these documents as you prepare their final return.
When you're ready to begin the filing process, select the version of TurboTax software you're using from the list below, then follow the instructions provided.
*Note: The CRA (Canada Revenue Agency), requires all final returns to be physically processed. You will need to print out and mail their return directly, and cannot use any electronic filing options.
When starting the return process, select Yes to the question "Are you preparing a return for someone who passed away?", then follow the instructions below:
- Select the period of the DOD (date of death)
- Choose the province where the deceased resided right before the DOD
- Enter the personal information of the deceased and the DOD
- Enter the mailing address of where the notice of assessment should be sent.
- Enter the information of the spouse/ common/law partner, including the net income and provincial tax line 8 from the provincial 428 form
- Select the type of income you are reporting for the deceased. If you are reporting an income that is eligible for splitting, the software will calculate the eligible amount to be transferred to your spouse/common-law partner. This amount will be reported separately in the partner’s tax return
- If you are transferring a principal residence to the spouse/common-law partner, enter the information of the purchased price and the FMV (fair market value), on the DOD. Select yes to the questions “was the property disposed of as a result of death?”. Then select who is the property transferred to
- You can check the information entered from the forms view on the top blue bar. Just select Forms and choose T1-General
To get started, select Someone Else, from the list of options under the question, “Let’s get started. Who are you preparing this return for?”, when beginning your return. Then follow the instructions below:
- Scroll down to enter your name, and that of the deceased, then check the box for My spouse/partner passed away
- Enter their date of death in the space provided, then click on Continue
- On the next page, select their name to prepare a tax return for, then click Continue
- Answer the questions on the next page, then click Continue.
- Choose whether you have children or financially support another person, then select Continue
- You will need to provide additional personal information for the deceased on the next page. Click on Continue once you have completed this section
- On the next page, answer the questions about your residency, and that of the deceased, then click Continue
- Because a final return needs to be signed and mailed in, the next section will ask for your mailing address and contact information. Click the button for Continue on each page until completed