turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Cantgetmyverication code to sign my return keeps saying wrong code can I get it in a text message

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Michelena

Cantgetmyverication code to sign my return keeps saying wrong code can I get it in a text message

When you go to retrieve the code, do NOT close the original screen where you are asked for the code.  You have to keep the verification screen open while you use a second tab or second window to retrieve the code from your email.  Then you enter it in the screen that you left open.  If you close that original screen, it resets everything, and the code will be seen as "expired."

If you'd rather get text messages, see if you can do this... If your return is open, see if you can click on MY ACCOUNT and then go into Account Settings and then to the Security tab.  Then scroll to "Two-Step Verification".  You may be able to switch to text messages to get the code.

Refer to the solutions below if you're having trouble getting your verification code or your code doesn't work.

I never received my code:
Follow these solutions in the order listed:

1. (Emailed verification codes) – Check your Junk and/or Spam folders. On Gmail, also check your other email tabs.
  2. Wait about 5 minutes; your email or phone provider might still be sending the message, or your connection may be slow.
  3. Verify your email and/or phone number in TurboTax. Make any corrections if necessary.
The code I received is not working:
This usually happens either when an old (expired) code is entered into the current request window, or the request window has been closed.

Here's what you need to do to get back on track:

1. Request another verification code.
  2. Leave the window open that asks for the code. Closing the window will automatically invalidate the code.
    • If you need to check your email for the code, open another tab or browser session instead of overwriting the request window.
  3. Wait for the verification code to arrive via email or text.
    • This can take a few minutes, so be patient. Requesting a new code will cancel the code currently being sent.
  4. Copy/paste or type the code into the request window. (Don't enter 692-227 if receiving via text – as that's our SMS short code, not your verification code.)
Other Options:
Alternatively, you can select Try something else on the Get help signing in screen instead of a code. Simply follow the onscreen instructions to verify your account.

View solution in original post

7 Replies
Michelena

When you go to retrieve the code, do NOT close the original screen where you are asked for the code.  You have to keep the verification screen open while you use a second tab or second window to retrieve the code from your email.  Then you enter it in the screen that you left open.  If you close that original screen, it resets everything, and the code will be seen as "expired."

If you'd rather get text messages, see if you can do this... If your return is open, see if you can click on MY ACCOUNT and then go into Account Settings and then to the Security tab.  Then scroll to "Two-Step Verification".  You may be able to switch to text messages to get the code.

Refer to the solutions below if you're having trouble getting your verification code or your code doesn't work.

I never received my code:
Follow these solutions in the order listed:

1. (Emailed verification codes) – Check your Junk and/or Spam folders. On Gmail, also check your other email tabs.
  2. Wait about 5 minutes; your email or phone provider might still be sending the message, or your connection may be slow.
  3. Verify your email and/or phone number in TurboTax. Make any corrections if necessary.
The code I received is not working:
This usually happens either when an old (expired) code is entered into the current request window, or the request window has been closed.

Here's what you need to do to get back on track:

1. Request another verification code.
  2. Leave the window open that asks for the code. Closing the window will automatically invalidate the code.
    • If you need to check your email for the code, open another tab or browser session instead of overwriting the request window.
  3. Wait for the verification code to arrive via email or text.
    • This can take a few minutes, so be patient. Requesting a new code will cancel the code currently being sent.
  4. Copy/paste or type the code into the request window. (Don't enter 692-227 if receiving via text – as that's our SMS short code, not your verification code.)
Other Options:
Alternatively, you can select Try something else on the Get help signing in screen instead of a code. Simply follow the onscreen instructions to verify your account.
Beatricelujan
Returning Member

I am not at work to get into my email for code so I can file my taxes, can you send me a text?

DonnaLO
Expert Alumni

Why can't I get this code on my phone?

We're required by the IRS to verify your email before you e-file.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
1063nov

I am fully frustrated. I did not close the site when I was waiting on my verification code and never received one after 15 minutes. How do I get back to that place where I was about to complete my filing. Terrible, when a disabled 60 year old have to succumb to this type of incompetance by Intiut Turbo Tax. And now I have to start all over? Really?

Cass0317
Intuit Alumni

To return, start by signing onto your online account and land on the Tax Home web page, scroll down and click on Add a state (this just gets you back in) This will take you back to the 2020 online tax return.

For your code, you can also check the memory on your phone/tablet, it can prevent other messages from getting in to the device. Please see the TurboTax FAQ's below for additional assistance:

You may also reach out to TurboTax Customer Care. The best and most efficient way for you to connect with the right person to get the help you need is to select the version you are using in the TurboTax FAQ below:

What is the TurboTax phone number?

Stacks58
Returning Member

Says not active when request a conformation code takes far to long to recive it, when received unable to use because of time lapse. 

Stacks58
Returning Member

Will not invite friends when unable to use it my self. Please fix it I used it the year pasted it worked perfectly. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies