turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I bought Turbotax at Costco , and my computer does not have a cd slot. I cannot find an installation prompt. What Should I do ?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

7 Replies

I bought Turbotax at Costco , and my computer does not have a cd slot. I cannot find an installation prompt. What Should I do ?

See this TurboTax support FAQ when you do not have a CD drive on your computer - https://ttlc.intuit.com/turbotax-support/en-us/help-article/product-delivery/bought-cd-computer-cd-d...

Use the download method instead of the CD.  It has more advantages over CD.  Then you can also download it another computer. Once you install the CD you can't install it again like if you need to reinstall the program or install on a different computer.

There should be a card in the CD case on on the CD envelope that says how to download it and you will need the 14 or 16 digit code from it to enter.

How to download Turbo Tax instead of using the CD

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/installing/help/i-bought-the-cd-but-my-computer-doesn-t-have-a-cd-...

And see this.  How to install with a License Code

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/tax-topics/help/activating-turbotax-cd-download-software/00/852971

Carl
Level 15

Once you install the CD you can't install it again like if you need to reinstall the program or install on a different computer.

When did that start? I had no problem installing TTX 2021 CD on 3 different computers I have. For 2022 I have the download and not the actual CD.

Hmmmm,  most of the posts the last couple years they have had problems using the CD another time.  It gives a not able to find account error.  There is a problem if you first installed the CD.  It doesn't connect you to an account you can find.  You have to call in and ask for the download and a new License Code.  

Carl
Level 15

Installing from the physical CD has never asked me to log in to my intuit account. In fact, I've installed it in years past with no internet connection at all. Of course, I had to connect to the Internet in order to get the updates, and to actually e-file the return.

If I recall correctly,  I think people got that prompt about "already being associated with an account" if they bought the CD, but used the code to get and install the download version at some point, and then later tried to install from the CD.   Getting the download somehow obligated one to the download version and linked all of it together so that people couldn't use both.  At least that's the way I sorta remember it.    It produced a lot of complaints, and whether that will still happen this year or not, I don't know.

Carl
Level 15

I think people got that prompt about "already being associated with an account" if they bought the CD, but used the code to get and install the download version at some point,

Ah yes! Now that would make sense. I could see trying to use the CD on a 2nd computer would render the code invalid for the CD.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies