turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

My efile keeps getting rejected saying someone already claimed my kids but no one has. What should I do?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
DanielV01
Expert Alumni

My efile keeps getting rejected saying someone already claimed my kids but no one has. What should I do?

It depends.  How you choose to handle this depends on what you feel is the most convenient option for you.  Unfortunately, once someone's information has been accepted on someone's e-filed return (even if that information has been filed incorrectly), it is no longer possible for that individual to be filed electronically on anyone else's return.  Here are the options that are remaining in this situation:

1. If only one dependent has been claimed, you may still file to include the remaining dependents electronically.  Once that return is accepted, you may then file an amended return to claim the remaining dependent.  Doing this will prevent a long delay that can be experienced when a dependent has been claimed on another return, so that you may get at least the majority of your refund now.
  2. If all dependents are causing a rejection, you may wish to mail in the return.  It will take longer to resolve the issue, but if you don't have the dependents on the return you may owe; for a certainty your refund will be considerably less than if filing with the dependents on the return.

Please note the following TurboTax website:  

What Happens When Both Parents Claim a Child on a Tax Return ...

The same principle holds true here.  As long as you can prove that you are the parent and the children lived with you, anyone else trying to claim the children will not be later disallowed.  However, this is a process that will take time.  Nevertheless, the IRS will award you the claim as long as you are the custodial parent of the child.  The only individual with a higher claim than you would be the other parent, if they lived with the child more than you last year, or, if they lived with the child same time as you, that the other parent had more income than you.  
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Jorjor95

My Baby Was Born In sept 2021. My taxes keep getting rejected because it says Somebody has Used My Child As A Dependent But that’s Impossible nobody has access To Her I formation 

DaraLO
Intuit Alumni

@Jorjor95 It's possible that someone filed a fraudulent return using your dependent's information.  However, it's also possible that the Social Security number you've entered for your dependent is different from what's on file with the Social Security Administration.  

For steps to resolve those issues and proceed with filing your return, please refer to the following Help Article:  How do I fix e-file reject IND-507?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies