turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can I correct an email address after successfully transmitting my return? If not, how can I track my return as my e-file tracking address is now incorrect? Thank you

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

12 Replies

Can I correct an email address after successfully transmitting my return? If not, how can I track my return as my e-file tracking address is now incorrect? Thank you

Solves part of the problems:

I do appreciate the links showing me how I can track my return. However, my Intuit or TurboTax Account Email address is fine.

Problem is;  after transmitting my return, I received a message showing an incorrect email address that would be used for e-file tracking. It is DIFFERENT than my account address. My fear is that someone else may be receiving ‘’MY’ information.
LakeshaLO
Intuit Alumni

You can check your account activity where most events related to your account’s security will be listed—such as when you signed in or changed things like your password or phone number. An email from us is marked with a small envelope icon and gives the reason we sent it.

1. Select Intuit Account in the lower left corner.
2. On the Intuit Account screen, select View next to Account Activity in the Security section. For more info on how TurboTax
    security works, please see the information below:
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
LakeshaLO
Intuit Alumni

Yes, you can change your email address, but it is not required to track your refund. However, TurboTax do provide updates via email such as a rejection alert, or to alert you that your refund is being deposited into your account, etc. To change your email, please see this related TurboTax FAQ, How do I change my TurboTax account email? https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/4227743

Please follow these steps below to track your e-filed federal tax return:

1. First, check your e-file status to see if your refund was accepted by the IRS. You can start checking the status 24-48 hours after submission. To check your e-file status, visit this link:https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tools/efile-status-lookup/
  2. If it has been accepted, then you would wait for the approval from the IRS. The refund process can take approximately 21 days. You can track your refund at:https://sa.www4.irs.gov/irfof/lang/en/irfofgetstatus.jsp

For mailed tax returns, the refund processing time is 6 to 8 weeks from the date the IRS receives your tax return. You should start checking the status of your tax refund 4 weeks after you mailed your paper tax return.

To track your mailed federal tax return:

1. Wait 4 weeks 
  2. Track your federal refund at:https://sa.www4.irs.gov/irfof/lang/en/irfofgetstatus.jsp

Please see this TurboTax FAQ, How do I track my state refund?https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3300211

LakeshaLO
Intuit Alumni

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/4439221

This link no longer takes me to the FAQ about changing my email address.  Can you redirect me to the answer?  

To update your TurboTax account, see this TurboTax support FAQ - https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1900724-how-do-i-update-my-turbotax-account-information

Thank you.  This link does not seem to get me what I need.  I file multiple returns (self, kids, parents) using the desktop software.   Each return allows me to use a different E-mail address for notifications about the status of the return.  My parents have not received their E-mail notice and we are concerned I entered the wrong E-mail address. I am getting notices associated with my purchases of the state products at my own E-mail address, so I don't need to change that.  I just need to find the E-mail associated with a specific return filed using the 2021 Deluxe Desktop software.  Any help is appreciated.  

DaraLO
Intuit Alumni

@dsimon21 Here are few options to assist you:

1.  You can check the second page of your 1040 to see the email address you provided when filing the return.  I have attached a screenshot for reference.
  2.  Remember that you can use the IRS' Where's My Refund website to track refund status.  To check the status of a state refund, refer to the following Help Article:  How do I track my state refund?
  3.  If you simply want to check your e-file status, follow the steps for using TurboTax CD/Download listed here.  If there is a status update, but you haven't received an email, it's possible that you inputted the incorrect email address.  In this case, please contact our phone support team.  One of our representatives can look at your account and provide further assistance.

This was the best response I have received (although the information is on the third page of the SR return).  In this case, though, it is blank.  I thought there was an address there before I transmitted and when I entered the text number.  Also, had there been an incorrect address, how would I change it with Turbotax (understanding there is a procedure for updating with the IRS that is different).

HeatherPLO
Intuit Alumni

To change your address within TurboTax, please see this Help Article which provides instructions.  

JohnUrish

Hi Heather,

I have a similar problem. I followed along but at the last entry you recommend a link which is not relevant to this discussion. The link is for changing the email address of a TurboTax account.

What we need is how to change the address entered into a specific tax return when filing with the Desktop version.

Thanks for your help, John

[email address removed]

MarilynG
Expert Alumni

If you haven't filed yet, change your address to your current address in the 'Personal Info' section. 

If you have filed, you can't change the mailing address on your return.

Always use your current address (no matter what is on the tax documents you receive). 

@JohnUrish

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies