turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Turbotax Premier program offers state efile for $19.99. This year and last year it charged my credit card $24.99. Why?

So Intuit has and will continue to show State e-file in the CD Premier software as $19.99 but charge $24.99? Is Intuit running out of qualified programmers?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

22 Replies

Turbotax Premier program offers state efile for $19.99. This year and last year it charged my credit card $24.99. Why?

The price increases ever year on or after March 1 from the early filer prices to the standard prices.  The state e-file charge is now $24.99

Go to the TurboTax website for the desktop CD/Download editions and click on the 1 state download link.  Scroll down the open window to the bottom of the window, the price for the state e-file will be displayed - https://turbotax.intuit.com/personal-taxes/cd-download/

The e-file charge for the state tax return has remained the same for several years.

There is nothing that states the price goes up to $24.99

e-file.png

@ericbroder Update your 2019 software to the latest release.  Click on Online at the top of the desktop program screen.  Click on Check for Updates.

TTD 2019 E-File.JPG

Every March the early prices expire and increase.  In the Desktop CD/Download program the State Efile fee is 19.99 but increases to 24.99.

But there will be a delay in Desktop program between March 1 when the price goes up and the next time the program update comes out, usually on Thursdays.  It will show the 19.99 price but you be charged 24.99.

What crap!  That's BAIT AND SWITCH.  I ordered state e-file based on a page that said $19.99, only to find I was being charged $24.99.  And then, in order to complete my e-file I'm supposed to update the software and it's in THAT update that I learned the price has gone up?!?  I've been using TurboTax since 2004 (at least), and this will probably be my last year if these are going to be their business practices.

The early filer price of $19.99 has been around for years and price increase to $24.99 in March is the standard price, has been for years.

Heck, I don't even pay the $19.99 if I file a state return early.  Rather pay nothing but a postage stamp and mail the state return.  So it takes a couple of weeks longer to get the state tax refund, no problem since the state refund is not that big of a deal financially.

I have been a Turbotax customer since I had a MSDOS computer operating system. Next year I will look at other tax software. This year Intuit charged me $24.95 + $1.56 sales tax to efile to my state. It was always $19.99 before.  

@gtravers48 wrote:

I have been a Turbotax customer since I had a MSDOS computer operating system. Next year I will look at other tax software. This year Intuit charged me $24.95 + $1.56 sales tax to efile to my state. It was always $19.99 before.  

If you have been a TurboTax customer for that long, then you should have known the price increases in March of each year from the early filer charge of $19.99 to the standard price of $24.99 for e-filing a state tax return with the desktop editions.

I have known this for years and do not pay either early filer fee or the standard fee.  Just print and mail the state return with only the cost of a postage stamp.

zensalsa

The price for state filing is now $ 44.99, I downloaded it. It is a big rip off. nowhere it states that before I bought it.  Mad. wonder if I can get it back, don't realize it until federal is finished.  

@zensalsa wrote:

The price for state filing is now $ 44.99, I downloaded it. It is a big rip off. nowhere it states that before I bought it.  Mad. wonder if I can get it back, don't realize it until federal is finished.  

The e-file charge is still $24.99 for a state tax return using the TurboTax desktop editions.

The charge of $44.99 (CA residents) is if you want to have the TurboTax account fees paid from the federal tax refund along with receiving Audit Defense for your tax return.  Just decline that charge if you are not interested.

Did you purchase desktop software with state software included?  They sell Deluxe both with and without state software--so you have to be careful which one you choose.  If you purchase it without the state included it will cost you $44.99 ti add state software.   And even if it does have the state software download included, that is for preparing the state.  There is an extra fee to e-file the state.  You can avoid the $24.99 state e-file fee if you print and mail the state instead of e-filing it.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

Watch out for this screen when you efile state....

RTF Desktop.jpg

I followed the link and find nothing to indicate price for efile.

I was told by a TT tech that the whole charge goes to the state. Anyone know if this is true? I find it hard to believe because efile saves the state all the data entry they would have to do with a paper return.

@2018problems wrote:

I followed the link and find nothing to indicate price for efile.

I was told by a TT tech that the whole charge goes to the state. Anyone know if this is true? I find it hard to believe because efile saves the state all the data entry they would have to do with a paper return.

This website and the link for a state download - https://turbotax.intuit.com/personal-taxes/cd-download/

TTD E-File Fee.JPG

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies