Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amount for eligible dependant for separed parents

My husband and I separated last year and this will be our first time filing our taxes separately. we have 2 children and have decided that we will each claim 1 child as a dependant. I am trying to figure out if we can each claim the amount for an eligible dependant for 1 child. I have tried searching but am getting conflicting answers so thought I would try here. for background: we separated in Feb 2019. we have 2 children and each want to claim 1. we have a 70/30 custody arrangement and he is paying me child support for both children and no spousal support. the support amount was determined by taking both of our income into account with the federal tables.

can we both claim the amount for an eligible dependant for 1 child each?

1 Reply

Amount for eligible dependant for separed parents

Quoting from the link provided below:

"If you were separated from your spouse or common-law partner during the tax year because of a breakdown in your relationship, or if you share custody of your dependant child with the child’s other parent:

• If you made support payments for the dependant during the tax year, you can claim the amount for an eligible dependant only if you don’t claim the support payments you made to your spouse or common-law partner during the tax year on your return. You can choose whichever option is best for you.
  • You cannot claim the amount for an eligible dependant if you received support payments for the dependant.
  • If you and another parent share custody of the dependant, or if you both make support payments, only one of you can make the claim. If you and the other person(s) making support payments cannot agree on who will claim the amount, neither parent may claim the amount. In this case, if you’re claiming the dependant, do not include the support payments you made on your return (but do include support payments you received).
  • Only one parent can claim the amount for the child. You cannot split the amount with the other parent."

Please review this FAQ from TurboTax for more information.

Also, this article will explain more details.