Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone having this installation problem with the License Code ?

I bought a valid copy of TurboTax 2020 Standard edition from Staples. I installed the application via the enclosed CD. When prompted I entered the License Code that was provided with the CD. It seemed to be accepted, but every time I launch TurboTax it again prompts me to enter the License Code. Sometime I can get into the full program and other times it does nothing. I have rebooted the PC (Windows 10 - 20H2 19042.844). I have uninstalled, rebooted, and reinstalled. But still nothing changes this behavior. So I contacted Intuit for support and was given a phone number to call. The support tech was knowledgeable and helpful. He had me allow him to view my screen so he could help. We tried various things and he could clearly see the problem. He thought it might be a network issue. My network is WIFI based and we have numerous devices on the WIFI without any problems (except TurboTax 2020). He talked me through setting up my cell phone with an internet hotspot and we switched my PC to use that instead of the household WIFI. And this seems to fix the problem, but it is not the way I want to use the software. He said that since it was a network problem this was all he could do - and I understand that. BUT, this does seem to be a Intuit problem, as it is only the License Code activation that seems to fail. I still cannot run the software reliably over my household WIFI.

I am wondering if anyone else has experienced this kind of issue, or is it only me.

Any thoughts?

Peter

18 Replies

Hi Peter,

TurboTax seems to have a variety of problems this year with activations. I purchased a download version from Costco, as I've done for several years now. It installed fine (Windows 8 64-bit), but the licence key activation window never opens, so I can't activate it. Have spoken to tech support twice. First one didn't have any answers. Second one blamed it on my McAfee security software, but I uninstalled McAfee and reinstalled TurboTax 2020. It still wouldn't work. I think they have enough issues trying to get it to work with Windows 10 that they don't even care about anyone still running Windows 8, which they advertise as being compatible by the way.

I've been trying since January and still can't get the Licence Code Activation Window to open, so TurboTax is no good for me this year. I returned it to Costco for a refund and went with another tax software that works just fine.

Good luck!

Hey, thanks for the response. Yes, from what I've read here it does seem that TurboTax 2020 is off to a bad start this year (pun intended).

May I ask which alternate tax software you went with?  At this point I am considering recommendations. It's a shame - we've been using this software for more than 20 years, back when it was called QuickTax. It was a no brainer to buy it each January - this is the first time I can't use it.

I also just placed an order with Bell Alliant to have my 10 year old WIFI modem upgraded, mostly because of today's fiasco attempting to get TurboTax working.

Peter

Yes, I also go all the way back to QuickTax. It's a shame that TurboTax can't seem to get their act together this year. It was always a good product and easy to use.

Anyway, on the recommendation of a friend who is a retired CFO and has used this software for years, I switched to GenuTax Standard for Windows. Note that it's recommended for use with a desktop computer. It's approved by CRA for NetFile. 

It took a bit longer, just not being familiar with it and having to enter the personal info that I can usually pull forward with TT. I also opted for the detailed questionnaire, but having gone through it, the short form questionnaire would have been fine for me. The additional time spent was way less than the time I've spent trying to get TT to work this year. The bonus with GenuTax is that it's free! They do suggest a donation if you're happy with it. Check it out if you wish.

Jim

I have exactly the same problem

BruceR2

Just bought mine (Standard) from Intuit yesterday, but the installation never completes. As the extraction files begins, the download asks for permission to download two apps, Sony's "SensMe" and "Content Transfer". They are legitimate Sony products but have no business being in the download. As a result, even if you accept, the Turbo Tax installation never completes. I had an IT friend take a look at my computer to make sure it wasn't corrupted by malware, but he says the error is definitely in the file from Intuit. Suggested perhaps either an error in coding, or somebody tampered with the download code as they were walking out the door. I got through on a helpline, but the help is outsourced to Salesform.com, and was of little help. Either way, I'm out $35 and can't download the program. I love the transfer of data from previous years returns.

Anybody have success downloading the TurboTax_2020.exe file on March 6th or 7th?

Today, Bell Aliant upgraded (at a cost to me) my WIFI router/modem (since the old one was about 11 years old) and now when I launch TurboTax 2020 I no longer have to enter the License Code each time. I don't know whether this is a cause and effect of the router upgrade, or merely a coincidence - did a TurboTax update sneak  in and fix the issue. I dunno.

Cheers,

Peter

I'm having the same problem. 

It says, something's not right, try re-entering your code. And I tried to contact turbo tax but it was just an automated response and send me the community link.

Yes I am in the middle of it and I have now wasted 4 1/2hr and the program will not accept my licence code that was in the box that I bought at Staples. I have used their program for 5 years without any problems.

bernie22
Returning Member

after i got this activated it will open ONLY if i go offline first. Check out how i activated under "bernie22"