Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
Sign in to the Community or Sign in to TurboTax and start working on your taxes
Level 1
posted Apr 20, 2021 12:02:02 PM

Auto-Fill My Return doesn't work. I can log in the CRA website and download the slips, but when it imports, I got the "Oops, we encountered an error" screen.

I can log in the CRA fine, and the progress bar indicidates it can download all the slips.    But it is stuck at "Importing data" for quite some time, then I got the unhelpful "Oops, we encountered an error" screen.

0 14 3165
14 Replies
Level 5
Nov 25, 2021 12:15:04 PM

Before you begin, register for My Account.

If you’d like to use CRA’s Auto-fill my return service to automatically fill out part of your tax return, you need to be registered for the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA)’s My Account

Please follow the steps below to know how to use the CRA's Auto-fill my return services:

1. Select Find in TurboTax.
    Note: If you don’t see the Find button, you may not have completed the Setting up a section of your return. Continue through the Setting up section until the Find button appears.
  2. In the Find window, type Auto-Fill.
  3. From the list of search results, select Auto-Fill My Return, then select Go.
  4. On the Name, get a jump start on your tax return step, select Continue.
  5. On the Let’s import your info step, select Launch CRA site.
  6. Follow the steps to download your slips and other information.

Or you can watch a video by following this link How do I use Auto-fill my return? 

If you require further assistance please contact our phone support team or contact us directly on Facebook or Twitter.

Thank you for using TurboTax.

Level 1
Nov 25, 2021 5:41:51 PM

The real problem is Turbo tax can only download up to 40 T-slips from the CRA website.  I have over 200 T-slips.

The error message is totally misleading.

It should just say there are too many T-slips, so Turbo tax just roll over and die.

Apr 4, 2023 12:36:37 PM

Were you able to resolve this issue? Receiving something similar and I wonder if my 179 T-slips are the cause.

Apr 10, 2023 8:00:46 AM

Any update on this?  I'm having the same issue.  I read that TurboTax has a 200 T slip limit.  I have 171.  I'm assuming it can't handle that many.  Unfortunately, it's an all or nothing download I guess.  It fails and doesn't even do a partial download.  So now I'm starting the process of manually entering 171 slips!  Any other better solutions?

Apr 10, 2023 11:03:40 AM

I’ve been having the same problem the past few days April 8-10. I’ve spoken to customer support twice with no resolution. I’m surprised TurboTax isn’t monitoring this site and responding. Time to try another software provider? 

Apr 10, 2023 3:09:04 PM

Yes, TurboTax does have a limit on how many t-slips can be imported that is less than the amount that the CRA supports. There's also a limit per slip type, so if you have a lot of T5008 slips, that is likely why you are not able to Auto-Fill. 

I have passed on your comments & suggestions to our product development team, however, it's unlikely that a change to the system will be made for this tax season.

Thank you all for your input.

Apr 11, 2023 5:12:57 PM

This issue still exists 5 years later. Yes, it's the 5008s, but this should have been an easy problem to solve. 

Or knowing the problem, you could ask for an aggregate capital gains/loss assuming the user has done their own calculation. 

Apr 15, 2023 4:52:28 PM

@Dan159 Yes, that is a work around that you can use.

Level 1
Apr 10, 2024 10:12:34 AM

I have ther CD ffor 2023

The autofill features are disabled ...not on the cover but while using software. greyed out. I use this feature every year

I have spent an hour trying to get anyone ...no luck

Apr 10, 2024 10:22:37 AM

Please go to your MyAccount at the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) and sign in and keep the account opened to then return to your return and try again.

If you are using the CD, please make sure that your updates have been done.

If you are in Easy Step mode please go to Income & Expenses in the left menu and under that click on Import Tax Data from CRA.

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.

Level 1
Apr 11, 2024 3:05:55 AM

That area is greyed out and not an option

its fully updated 

Apr 11, 2024 5:07:03 AM

In order to help you with this situation, we believe your best option is to contact our telephone support team for further assistance, as they have the option to view your screen to help resolve the issue. To contact them, please follow this link: Contact Us. When asked if you wish to receive an email say NO then say "speak to a representative" then hold the line. If a resolution is not found, please ask for an escalation to investigate the issue.

​​​​​​​Thank you for choosing TurboTax.

Level 2
Apr 17, 2024 6:59:30 PM

I encountered this issue, too! I have a lot of T5008 Securities slips, and the TurboTax Assistants recommended I try to download them instead of typing them in (after I had typed many of them, but not all). 

When I tried to download my T-slips,  it connected to CRA but  resulted in an error, and no slips downloaded. My husband works in tech, and helped me try to troubleshoot.

We noted that My CRA required him to authorize me as his CRA Authorized Representative to get access to any information with his SIN. Once this process was complete in the CRA site, we could access information for both of us. TurboTax did not download any slips. 

I typed in pages of T5008 slips into Capital Gains, and found TurboTax would not generate enough lines to be able to enter them all. I deleted almost all of them, and entered a summary of the rest.

We have not been able to download ANY T-slips from the CRA through TurboTax.

Apr 18, 2024 10:09:04 AM

@CannyGranny Unfortunately, if you have too many slips to auto-fill, there is no way to reduce the amount of slips that TurboTax tries to pull in to stop the error. So, you will have to enter your other slips manually.