Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can i add the $500 Manitoba child fitness amount to Clancy's claim? If so how?

Turbo tax says i cannot claim this amount but i should because my son qualifies.
1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Children and young adults, ages 16-24, can have their fees claimed under the Manitoba Fitness Tax Credit.  The Manitoba’s Fitness Tax Credit allows claims for fitness activities for children under 16 and by young adults aged 16 through 24. The cost of up to $500 in eligible fitness activities, as defined under the federal legislation, may be claimed per child or young adult. For a child/young adult less than 18 years of age at the end of the year, the claim may be made by the child/young adult, or their parent. For a young adult 18 to 24 years of age at the end of the year, the claim may be made by the young adult, spouse or common law partner.

This will provide an annual non-refundable benefit of up to $54 per youth. Children and young adults with a disability, on whose behalf at least $100 is spent for qualifying fitness activities, will be eligible for an additional $54 credit for a maximum credit of $108 – mirroring the federal treatment of children with a disability. The credits reduce Manitoba income tax otherwise payable in the tax year. 

The Province's tax credit is administered by the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA).

To claim it, you have to go in Deductions section and select Claims for Dependants. Choose Yes to question "Would you like to review or claim any of these credits?" and you will have the option to check the box for this credit and enter the amount of the eligible expenses.

View solution in original post

1 Reply

Children and young adults, ages 16-24, can have their fees claimed under the Manitoba Fitness Tax Credit.  The Manitoba’s Fitness Tax Credit allows claims for fitness activities for children under 16 and by young adults aged 16 through 24. The cost of up to $500 in eligible fitness activities, as defined under the federal legislation, may be claimed per child or young adult. For a child/young adult less than 18 years of age at the end of the year, the claim may be made by the child/young adult, or their parent. For a young adult 18 to 24 years of age at the end of the year, the claim may be made by the young adult, spouse or common law partner.

This will provide an annual non-refundable benefit of up to $54 per youth. Children and young adults with a disability, on whose behalf at least $100 is spent for qualifying fitness activities, will be eligible for an additional $54 credit for a maximum credit of $108 – mirroring the federal treatment of children with a disability. The credits reduce Manitoba income tax otherwise payable in the tax year. 

The Province's tax credit is administered by the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA).

To claim it, you have to go in Deductions section and select Claims for Dependants. Choose Yes to question "Would you like to review or claim any of these credits?" and you will have the option to check the box for this credit and enter the amount of the eligible expenses.