Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
Sign in to the Community or Sign in to TurboTax and start working on your taxes
posted Oct 29, 2019 6:28:39 PM

Can I apply for public transit tax credit if I was not reimbursed in full?

Hi,

Giving that:

1. My employer partially reimbursed me for the transportation by including the total public transit costs in the employment income section on the T4 ($1,605.00) and

2. They also included portion of this sum in the tax deduction sections ($643.2 fed. tax, $30.24 E.I., and $79.44 C.P.P.)

can I still apply for a tax credit for either the full sum, or part of it that I was not reimbursed?

0 2 1927
1 Best answer
Oct 29, 2019 6:28:40 PM

Yes.  Because your employer included the amount reimbursed for public transit in your income on your T4, you are allowed to claim the total of all of these costs ( Both the reimbursed amounts as well as the amounts not reimbursed) that you paid during the year when claiming the public transit amount.  For more info, please see http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/tx/ndvdls/tpcs/ncm-tx/rtrn/cmpltng/ddctns/lns360-390/364/rtrn-eng.html

2 Replies
Oct 29, 2019 6:28:40 PM

Yes.  Because your employer included the amount reimbursed for public transit in your income on your T4, you are allowed to claim the total of all of these costs ( Both the reimbursed amounts as well as the amounts not reimbursed) that you paid during the year when claiming the public transit amount.  For more info, please see http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/tx/ndvdls/tpcs/ncm-tx/rtrn/cmpltng/ddctns/lns360-390/364/rtrn-eng.html

Oct 29, 2019 6:28:41 PM

Thanks, but that links says "and you did not deduct the reimbursement anywhere else on your return". The thing is that $643.2 was included in the Total income tax deducted, and EI and CPP in Federal non-refundable tax credits. So from what I understand, I actually did deduct at least part of the reimbursement on my return.