Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I apply for public transit tax credit if I was not reimbursed in full?

Hi,

Giving that:

1. My employer partially reimbursed me for the transportation by including the total public transit costs in the employment income section on the T4 ($1,605.00) and

2. They also included portion of this sum in the tax deduction sections ($643.2 fed. tax, $30.24 E.I., and $79.44 C.P.P.)

can I still apply for a tax credit for either the full sum, or part of it that I was not reimbursed?

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
fuzzy

Yes.  Because your employer included the amount reimbursed for public transit in your income on your T4, you are allowed to claim the total of all of these costs ( Both the reimbursed amounts as well as the amounts not reimbursed) that you paid during the year when claiming the public transit amount.  For more info, please see http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/tx/ndvdls/tpcs/ncm-tx/rtrn/cmpltng/ddctns/lns360-390/364/rtrn-eng.html

View solution in original post

2 Replies
fuzzy

Yes.  Because your employer included the amount reimbursed for public transit in your income on your T4, you are allowed to claim the total of all of these costs ( Both the reimbursed amounts as well as the amounts not reimbursed) that you paid during the year when claiming the public transit amount.  For more info, please see http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/tx/ndvdls/tpcs/ncm-tx/rtrn/cmpltng/ddctns/lns360-390/364/rtrn-eng.html

Thanks, but that links says "and you did not deduct the reimbursement anywhere else on your return". The thing is that $643.2 was included in the Total income tax deducted, and EI and CPP in Federal non-refundable tax credits. So from what I understand, I actually did deduct at least part of the reimbursement on my return.