Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
Sign in to the Community or Sign in to TurboTax and start working on your taxes
Level 2
posted Mar 11, 2022 11:03:10 AM

Canada Workers Benefit - Error

No matter what I do it keeps selecting the Canada workers benefit. I DO NOT want it. It NEGATIVELY affects the tax return I am trying to do. I have restarted the return 4 times and it keeps selecting it after the fact even when I DO NOT.

How can I get around this?????

3 44 4121
24 Replies
Level 1
Mar 26, 2022 10:19:34 AM

Me too!!!  i cannot get around this to file the taxes.  i cannot even find a contact us anywhere to ask Turbo tax to fix it!

Level 1
Mar 26, 2022 10:25:28 AM

i just called, and they are working on the update, to give them a few days.

Level 1
Apr 4, 2022 9:25:23 AM

Any answer as to the fix?
It automatically applied CWB to my return and the amount I owe jumped up.

I don’t want it applied. We spent an hour on the phone yesterday with turbo tax and they couldn’t figure out why. 

Jun 26, 2022 9:52:17 AM

Has anyone resolved this. I'm late filing my return and under the gun to get it done. When I was finishing up my returns, the question came up in review about filing for CWB. I clicked YES to see if there was any effect on the return. Well it dropped my refund amount by $3000 and then when I went into the forms and turned it off for both mine and my spouses return, the refund calculation is still off by more than $1000.

What gives? Come on Intuit. Help me out here?

Level 1
Mar 1, 2023 12:06:14 PM

Turbo tax is automatically applying for the Canada Workers Benefit even though the filer is clearly not eligible for it. (Full time student with no dependants or disabilities)

Level 15
Mar 9, 2023 8:51:19 AM

Can you please let us know if you are using TurboTax Online or TurboTax CD/Download? 

Mar 29, 2023 6:06:51 PM

Hello, I'm having the same issue for my combined return with my spouse. I am using the TurboTax Download. 

Thank you,

MAF3

Apr 5, 2023 3:39:00 PM

When you enter eligible income on your tax return, TurboTax will automatically claim the Canada Workers Benefit for you. If you later enter information that makes you ineligible, or choose not to claim the credit, the Canada Workers Benefit is removed from your return.

If you don’t want to claim the Canada Workers Benefit, you can say no to the credit. To do this in TurboTax use the “Find” tool 🔍 to search for “can”. Select “Canada Workers Benefit” and then click the “Go” button.

Feb 12, 2024 3:52:14 PM

Interesting.  I sent in my a return (for a student) without being aware of this.  Got the CWB then months later they wanted it back.  TurboTax should check ask if you're a full time student before requesting the CWB! 

Feb 12, 2024 4:01:53 PM

@not_my_fathers_t4 If the tax payer is a full time student, they will usually enter a tuition slip, or be too young for the credit. TurboTax will take off the credit if either is the case. There is also the option of not claiming the CWB, if you know that you don't qualify.

Feb 12, 2024 4:07:10 PM

In my case the parents claimed the tuition.  And I had never heard of the CWB so was just trusted TurboTax. 

Feb 12, 2024 4:12:23 PM

@not_my_fathers_t4  The student has to claim the tuition on their return first, and then transfer the credit to someone else. A T2202 is issued in the the student's name, regardless of who actually paid the tuition.

Mar 1, 2024 1:45:36 PM

I still cannot take away the page after following your steps. When I click "GO", it go to the page instead of delete the page.

Mar 1, 2024 2:02:29 PM

If you go to top left click "FIND" type in Canada workers benefit then GO- once there you will see it will ask "Do you want to claim the Canada workers benefit?"  There you can click on "NO". 

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.

Level 2
Mar 3, 2024 1:22:14 PM

Hello,

I am on the easy-step page where it asks, "do you want to apply for the canada workers benefit", but it does NOT allow an option for "yes" or "no" as shown on your screenshot.  It ONLY continues to ask who will apply (between me & my spouse) and then asks 4 qualifying questions to show that I qualify (are you tax exempt, have you been to jail, etc).  

I have even gone in through the forms schedule 6 and attempted to manually uncheck the box of "are you claiming this benefit", but if I uncheck myself, it then auto checks my spouse and visa versa.

Please help, this is incredibly frustrating (and made more so seeing as this is a problem from previous years software).

Mar 4, 2024 8:34:53 AM

Are either of you a full-time student?

Level 2
Mar 4, 2024 5:42:51 PM

No.  I had 7 months of part-time study, but neither are full-time students.

Mar 5, 2024 6:28:38 AM

Can you please call in to our Phone support service so that they can view your screen and help you.

Mar 5, 2024 9:13:46 AM

Your fix to declaring you do not want the CWB deduction does not work.  I have done it three times now and said NO to it, but nothing changes on the return, including the amount of the refund, which is wrong because we are not eligible for the CWB.  And there is a drawback - which you suggest there isn't  - to taking the deduction - because if you are not eligible, you will have to return the money.

I called the CRA for clarification - was told - one must have $3000 of EARNED INCOME in order to qualify for the CWB - or there is a much more complicated formula online if anyone is interested.  So if you only have $1,250, or $2,850 in EARNED income - anything under $3000 - one is not eligible for it.  Honestly, you guys should know this - especially when people - your clients - have been asking since 2022 for information regarding this.  Very disappointed with this product this year.  I want to file now - not when you all get around to fixing something which you have been aware of for it looks like - close to two years.  

Mar 5, 2024 9:18:46 AM

Thank you for your update and feedback, we value your opinion and will share this information with the proper TurboTax team.

Mar 11, 2024 9:26:57 PM

NO, IT ONLY GIVES YOU THE OPTION TO SEE IF YOU QUALIFY AND SELECT WHO WANTS TO APPLY BUT IT WILL MAKE YOU CHOOSE A NAME

Mar 11, 2024 9:30:44 PM

It only makes you choose if you WANT TO SEE IF YOU QUALIFY, but the second question: who is going to claim, MAKES YOU CHOOSE A NAME 

Mar 12, 2024 5:35:18 AM

Please click on NO you do not wish to see if you qualify to indicate you are not interested in receiving it.

Level 2
Mar 12, 2024 9:03:25 PM

There is not even an option on mine to select no.  This page is the first and only time that Canada Workers Benefit is mentioned.  There is no previous option that I can find to select "no" and there is no option to select "no" on this page".  Claiming the benefit significantly impacts my return and I also believe I am not eligible to begin with.