Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canada Workers Benefit - Error

No matter what I do it keeps selecting the Canada workers benefit. I DO NOT want it. It NEGATIVELY affects the tax return I am trying to do. I have restarted the return 4 times and it keeps selecting it after the fact even when I DO NOT.

How can I get around this?????

38 Replies

Me too!!!  i cannot get around this to file the taxes.  i cannot even find a contact us anywhere to ask Turbo tax to fix it!

i just called, and they are working on the update, to give them a few days.

Any answer as to the fix?
It automatically applied CWB to my return and the amount I owe jumped up.

I don’t want it applied. We spent an hour on the phone yesterday with turbo tax and they couldn’t figure out why. 

skartz

Has anyone resolved this. I'm late filing my return and under the gun to get it done. When I was finishing up my returns, the question came up in review about filing for CWB. I clicked YES to see if there was any effect on the return. Well it dropped my refund amount by $3000 and then when I went into the forms and turned it off for both mine and my spouses return, the refund calculation is still off by more than $1000.

What gives? Come on Intuit. Help me out here?

Turbo tax is automatically applying for the Canada Workers Benefit even though the filer is clearly not eligible for it. (Full time student with no dependants or disabilities)

Can you please let us know if you are using TurboTax Online or TurboTax CD/Download? 

MAF3

Hello, I'm having the same issue for my combined return with my spouse. I am using the TurboTax Download. 

Thank you,

MAF3

When you enter eligible income on your tax return, TurboTax will automatically claim the Canada Workers Benefit for you. If you later enter information that makes you ineligible, or choose not to claim the credit, the Canada Workers Benefit is removed from your return.

If you don’t want to claim the Canada Workers Benefit, you can say no to the credit. To do this in TurboTax use the “Find” tool 🔍 to search for “can”. Select “Canada Workers Benefit” and then click the “Go” button.

Interesting.  I sent in my a return (for a student) without being aware of this.  Got the CWB then months later they wanted it back.  TurboTax should check ask if you're a full time student before requesting the CWB!