Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
Sign in to the Community or Sign in to TurboTax and start working on your taxes
posted Feb 20, 2020 10:22:44 PM

computer downloads

I have downloaded my software to 4 computers and i am unable to install it to a 5th. Why is this?

0 8 1735
8 Replies
Level 13
Feb 21, 2020 8:31:52 AM

The TurboTax software only allows for 3 installations maximum.  Not sure how you managed to get it loaded onto a 4th computer!

Level 2
Feb 21, 2020 10:57:01 AM

Now I'm concerned about the "Delete and Re-install" instructions we've been given.  I've registered and re-registered already.  So sounds like your response to this other question also says I only have one more to go (will be my third) .  I only do this on my  own (single) computer, but if I only have one more Re-install and therefore Re-register to go, and the netfile available version isn't even out yet ...   please advise.  ASAP!  Thanks.

Level 3
Feb 21, 2020 11:17:28 AM

@KSS04:  I have uninstalled and reinstalled TurboTax 2019 so many times that I have lost count.  This is on one PC and it's my main desktop.  I registered the first time I purchased it, and I just checked to see if could register it again, but the option to do so is greyed out.

So I'm pretty sure you're safe.  I think the software goes by the hardware ID of the computer.

Not applicable
Feb 21, 2020 11:21:42 AM

Would you provide us more information regarding the reason you are uninstalling and reintalling your software so we can help? Would you also let us know what platform you are using, Mac or Windows?

Level 3
Feb 21, 2020 11:28:48 AM

@Anonymous: The uninstalling and reinstalling was due to the dreaded TT805 update error that we all painfully endured.  We were told to uninstall, redownload TurboTax 2019 and then reinstall it.  TurboTaxSusan then gave us a bit of information that the problem was being worked on.  That's why everyone has been uninstalling and reinstalling TurboTax 2019.  Most of us are running Windows 10 Pro 64Bit.

TurboTaxSusan's reply to my post:

TurboTaxSusan
Wednesday

We no longer have separate update files posted for TurboTax 2019. The downloaded installer has the latest version of TurboTax 2019, so when you reinstall using the download, you will have all the current updates.

And yes, you will see the same error message after you reinstall. It is an issue with the update servers, not the program. We have already made some changes to the servers which has fixed the issue for some users, but we are aware there are still others seeing the error message. Our development team is working to resolve the issue as soon as they can.

In the meantime, the workaround is to cancel the automatic update or say No if it asks you if you want to update. You can also try updating at a different time, as the error occurs more frequently when the servers are busy.

Not applicable
Feb 21, 2020 11:53:15 AM

Thank you for the information @Byrdyman95. Please proceed with reinstalling your software. If you run into further issue with not being able to, due to the number of times you already have, please Contact us.

Level 2
Feb 21, 2020 12:05:37 PM

Thank you, Byrdyman95.  When I first read her response -- her question -- my head just about exploded:  an 'expert' who doesn't know what every one of her Canadian customers has been fighting through this past month or more?  Anyway, thankfully I saw your polite response before I began typing.  You saved me from a public fracas!! 😁  We do need to smile through it, right?!

Level 3
Feb 21, 2020 12:51:38 PM

Well, you know the old saying:  When life gives you lemons, make lemonade🤣🤣🤣

Adversity brings people closer together😄

Besides, we're all Canadians, we're supposed to be friendly, right?😜